Author Topic: Size reduction of Main air bleed (body and air horn)  (Read 931 times)

Offline Toones

Size reduction of Main air bleed (body and air horn)
« on: April 29, 2020, 02:45:48 PM »
I am rebuilding a 17059507 from a junked 78 Cadillac.  I am doing this not because I have a car to put it in, but because I want to understand more about the rebuild process, as well as to practice plating.  Because I do not have a car for this carb, I do not have cam specs.  Therefore, I am building it to the first recipe in the book.

I have followed everything in the book, purchase the SR rebuild kit, opened passages where necessary, etc.  However, I am stuck on the main air bleeds.  Both of them are about .113.  The recipe calls for .070 (jets and rods match recipe).

First, to reduce the size of the main air bleeds, do I purchase a set of "Quadrajet Air Bleeds" drive them in and drill to .070 or is there another way to do it (without relocating them)?

Second, if I purchase and redrill, do I have to do both the body and horn or just one or the other?

Offline Frank400

• Jet Head
Re: Size reduction of Main air bleed (body and air horn)
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2020, 04:48:15 PM »
the ones in the main body, I intall (drive in) ones I bought from Clff.  I drill them afterwards to th final size. Now for the ones in the air horn, I install 8-32 set-screws, so those air bleeds become removeable.  But you can install the same ones as in the main body.

Also, I sometimes use cups that were previously idle down channel resrictions, sometimes you're able to remove them so they're still useable.  I always convert the idle down channel restrictions to 8-32 setscrews, this way I can make changes easily and quick.

hope this helps,

Frank