Author Topic: Total Seal Gapless ring set  (Read 3299 times)

Offline hiy_po

• Carb lover
Re: Total Seal Gapless ring set
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2020, 08:38:00 AM »
I need some replacement bushes. I destroy 2 of my new secondry bushes.I got other two fitted succesfully. Attack primaries tomorrow.

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2020, 04:27:07 PM »
I ran into issues with Total Seal iron rings on the last build I did here.  They were so "brittle" it was NOT possible to get them on the pistons without them breaking into several pieces. 

The good news is that I told them about it and they next day air shipped replacement iron rings that were fine.

I've been using their file fit Moly top, iron second ring packs for quite a few years with no issues otherwise.  You MUST check the oil rings as well because I've ran into several sets that needed some material removed from them as they "butted" together in the bores.

With most ring packs even when you order file-fit the oil rings don't need anything done to them.....

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2020, 04:30:22 PM »
As far as the Total Seal "gapless" variety I will not use them here.  Tried them once WAY back when they first came out and that engine had issues.  It was a Pontiac 455 engine with ported Edelbrock heads and custom ground solid roller camshaft, made apprx 650hp.  At really high RPM's in high gear at the end of the 1/4 mile (race application) it would build up enough crankcase pressure to blow the oil pan gaskets out it.  After two pan gasket replacements I tore it back down and put their moly top/iron second file-fit rings in it and no more issues.......