Author Topic: Quadrajet and C6 Ford Trans.  (Read 1288 times)

Offline mcx

• Carb lover
Quadrajet and C6 Ford Trans.
« on: May 21, 2020, 02:52:07 AM »
Anyone, have any tips/suggestions on adapting a Quadrajet to a Ford Mustang 1972 with a 351 Clev and C6 automatic?   My brother has a Holley on it , it has the downshift rod/cable attached to the top of the throttle pivot arm.

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
Re: Quadrajet and C6 Ford Trans.
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 04:34:26 AM »
The 1970-71 429 CJ engines used Q-jets and the ones for the C-6's have an arm that pivots for that purpose.

The attachment point can't be solid unless you "slot" where it hooks up, which would work for what you are doing........Cliff

Offline mcx

• Carb lover
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 06:36:28 AM »
Thanks Cliff...what are ya  thoughts on Lokar universal flex cables for this sort of application?  Would the typical late 70s GM quadrajet turbo 350 pivot arm be made to work properly With a C6 ?  Most  seem to say, forget about  hooking it up and manually drop it a gear when down shifting/passing on hiway.... Thanks, Mike

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2020, 04:06:23 AM »
From memory the Mopar Torqueflights and C-6's used the cable for more than just forced downshifts.

The TH350 hook up point "pulls" the cable, the C6's were "pushed" from what I can remember.

You can used a "fixed" attachment point if you "slot" the arm coming up from the trans so it can slide back and forth on the pin, and spring loaded to keep it up against it so any throttle movement moves it.

Might want to Google up some picks of carbs that operated C-6's to get some ideas on how to fabricate a hook up for them.

I have a 1970 Cobra Jet carb here for the C-6 and it uses a long arm that pivots independently from the throttle arm and adjustment screw for precise control.

When I get a moment I'll try to post a pick of it.....

Offline mcx

• Carb lover
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2020, 04:47:50 AM »
Cliff....thanks for info/suggestions...nice carb pix...I think the fact that  the Ford C6 pushes it backwards , as opposed to the GM turbo 350  pulling it forward , is what was confusing
Me...trial and error will get it to work.

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2020, 02:07:49 AM »
Correct and the way the C-6 levers come up I'm pretty sure you will need to modify the lever so it has a "slot" in it with spring tension keeping it forward against the linkage........