Author Topic: E10/15 fuel and vapor lock.  (Read 1940 times)

Offline old blue 75

• Garage guy
E10/15 fuel and vapor lock.
« on: May 22, 2020, 12:25:54 PM »
I read some where lately that the e10/15 fuel will vapor lock in
carburetors when used with a mechanical fuel pump.
Is there any truth to this?

Offline Kenth

• Jet Head
Re: E10/15 fuel and vapor lock.
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 12:59:50 PM »
Carburetors are vented to atmosphere and cannot be "vaporlocked".
Vapor lock occurs in fuel lines heated by being too cloose to hot engine parts or exhaust system.

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 07:57:40 AM »
Correct.

Another big problem I see is "rotten" or porous rubber fuel lines sucking air instead of fuel.  This is ALWAYS mistaken for "vapor lock" and easily fixed with a couple of pieces of rubber hose and some good hose clamps.

I would also warn folks reading this to ALWAYS run solid fuel lines on the pressure side of the fuel pump.  I'll bet 1 in 3 set-ups I see have had the factory steel line cut for one reason or another and a piece of rubber hose installed with a couple of clamps on it.  That's bad enough but folks NEVER put a "bulge" in the metal lines to keep the rubber hoses from slipping off.

That entire deal is a DISASTER waiting to happen!.......

Offline old blue 75

• Garage guy
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2020, 09:19:34 PM »
This is a 1986 chevy truck that is currently all apart.
 It will have new duel tanks and lines.
I would like to keep the mechanical fuel pump but if it will cause
problems I may change to a electric in line.
But I am not sure if a inline will draw from the far side tank.

Offline old blue 75

• Garage guy
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2020, 05:44:49 AM »
Does any one know what electric fuel pumps can have fuel pulled thru by a mechanical pump.
My thought is to put a electric pump in line but only use it when needed.
I was thinking of using this mechanical pump. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ado-41216/make/chevrolet/model/camaro/year/1982/submodel/z28
And maybe a pump like this for inline.  https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-12-427
My thought is to wire the pump to a momentary switch for priming, and a full throttle switch
for high demand.

Offline 69giant

• Garage guy
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2020, 11:46:52 AM »
I have read reviews that this pump will do it. Airtex E8090

Offline blazer74

• Carb lover
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2020, 07:34:59 PM »
The only way I was able to get a handle on vapor issues was to install a return system to the tank.
I used the wix return style filter 33041  up near the carb with the return to the tank and eliminated the vapor issue.
I then removed this filter and installed a return style mechanical pump utilizing the return system and this did not work, vapor problem came right back.
I installed a fitting inline up near the carb and used a .060 restriction in the return just like is in the return style filter and low and behold no more vapor issues.
i currently have a rubber return line coming from the fitting which I intend to replace with a metal line near the engine.
In my case the fuel problem was in the line  from the pump to the carb. I also rerouted the line at one point and did not help.
Not to mention using an aftermarket mechanical pump that puts out to much pressure causes other issues.
Never have I tried an electric pump.

This is my experience and worked for me.

1974 K5 350

Offline tayto

• Carb lover
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2020, 08:00:17 AM »
My thought is to wire the pump to a momentary switch for priming, and a full throttle switch
for high demand.
The tank switch is a momentary switch already, yoi can probably piggy back off the power at tue switching valve. then just hold LH and/or RH tank switch for x seconds to prime with electric pump.

Offline old blue 75

• Garage guy
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2020, 06:15:48 PM »
Have a question on thread sealing. I am plumbing a system like this.

The only way I was able to get a handle on vapor issues was to install a return system to the tank.
I used the wix return style filter 33041  up near the carb with the return to the tank and eliminated the vapor issue.
I then removed this filter and installed a return style mechanical pump utilizing the return system and this did not work, vapor problem came right back.
I installed a fitting inline up near the carb and used a .060 restriction in the return just like is in the return style filter and low and behold no more vapor issues.
i currently have a rubber return line coming from the fitting which I intend to replace with a metal line near the engine.
In my case the fuel problem was in the line  from the pump to the carb. I also rerouted the line at one point and did not help.
Not to mention using an aftermarket mechanical pump that puts out to much pressure causes other issues.
Never have I tried an electric pump.

This is my experience and worked for me.

1974 K5 350

That being said what sealant can be used on pipe thread for gas?
Will this work?
https://www.fedprobrands.com/products/pipe-thread-sealants/gasoila-e-seal-thread-sealant.html
Or this?
https://www.permatex.com/products/gasketing/gasket-sealants/permatex-aviation-form-a-gasket-no-3-sealant-liquid/

Offline tayto

• Carb lover
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2020, 09:12:57 PM »
I use permatex high performance thread sealant

Offline blazer74

• Carb lover
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2020, 09:24:19 PM »
^Ditto^.