Author Topic: M4Me Rebuild questions  (Read 1130 times)

Offline Jriggs87

M4Me Rebuild questions
« on: June 20, 2020, 04:08:41 PM »
Carb is from an '82 chevy G20 with a 305
I'm trying to follow along in the rebuild book,  there are two gaskets (One thinner and one thicker, but they have the same layout) that can fit between the air horn and main body. I already have everything else cleaned up and reinstalled (getting the piston arms to seat properly with the plastic splash guard in place was a PAIN!) and I don't want to put the wrong gasket in.  This wasn't described in the book!! 
Also, installing new rivets on the hot air choke was STUPID! I ended up using small nuts and bolts to retain the cover.

Offline Jriggs87

Re: M4Me Rebuild questions
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2020, 05:51:05 PM »
Ended up going with the thinner gasket since it looked similar to the old one.

Should I have an extra thicker gasket??

crossing my fingers I rebuilt the carb the right way!

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2020, 01:42:59 AM »
I supply a thicker main body to airhorn gasket in my HP rebuild kits.  Some carbs are warped a bit and the thicker gasket can be used to help seal them up.

I don't use the rivets but use self tapping screws instead as I like to be able to adjust the choke if/as needed.  On many later carburetors there is a small piece of casting that needs to be removed to allow the choke to turn once it's in place.......Cliff

Offline Jriggs87

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2020, 05:42:10 PM »
Thank you Cliff!  The rebuild did the trick, put some as down the carb and it started up on the third try!  I will be posting some pictures of the mess of vacuum lines that I need help with, I'd like to clean up a lot of the unnecessary vacuum lines.