Author Topic: Tuning a Edelbrock 1910 for Buick 455  (Read 1686 times)

Offline avmechanic

• Garage guy
Tuning a Edelbrock 1910 for Buick 455
« on: July 21, 2020, 07:42:55 AM »
I have a 70 Buick 455 non stage1 engine in my 66' Buick. It has been running an Edelbrock 1910 Performer RPM for the last 12 years or so. The engine has a Poston Intake, NOS GM stage 1 camshaft (IN. 316 Deg, .407" EX. 340 Deg, .454" 115 deg Sep.) Long tube headers and MSD Ignition system. It runs strong wide open throttle and idles fine but throttle response low speed and cruise is not great. It seems to run on the rich side. I have the part throttle adjustment leaned out on the primaries. Another issue I have is that if you are into the throttle hard then back out and come into the throttle again it burbles and runs rough then clears and runs strong again. It looks like there is a bit of fuel always around the accelerator pump on the carb top. I would like to give it a tune up and maybe drop the jet size on the primary side. I have a 1901 Edelbrock carb sitting around too and I may drop that on while I look through the other one. Do you have some suggestions for adjustments and what I should grab for tune up parts. Also, I am just getting ready to swap the TH400 out for a TH200-4R. I have a TCI bracket and the studs for the carb linkage. Does the Edelbrock linkage have the correct mounting hole for the TV cable? I am going to swap out the mechanical throttle linkage for a cable throttle at swap time so I can make the TV cable mount work. Thanks for any info to share.

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
Re: Tuning a Edelbrock 1910 for Buick 455
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2020, 04:59:54 AM »
From what I can remember the 1910 has plenty of choices to hook up the TV cable below center so it should be fine without any further modifications.

1910's came in several configurations for idle fuel but all had 74 jets in them that I've seen.  They are typically rich idle and off idle so some tuning in that area will be beneficial.

I have a better primary rod to provide more control with the APT system, it tapers from .050" all the way down instead of "stepped" like the "M" series rods.

I'd put one of my rebuild kits in it and I can add tuning parts to get it better dialed in for what you are doing.

Those carbs use the HUGE .149" fuel inlet seat and sensitive to fuel pressure and flooding especially with a mechanical fuel pump.  I usually drop them back to .140-.145" if the fuel system is adequate for the power level.

I'm in the shop M-F 7am-4pm EST.....Cliff

Offline avmechanic

• Garage guy
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2020, 01:49:42 PM »
Thanks for the response Cliff. Do you think that just changing the metering rods will be enough to lean down the primary side or will I need some jets as well? I guess I better give you a call and put something together to get the carb tuned up. I am in Canada so shipping up here might be a pain. I usually ship to a receiving depot just over the border but with the border being closed it makes getting specialty performance parts up my way difficult.

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2020, 03:18:41 AM »
I ship to Canada almost every day.  Since the Covid Pandemic it's been taking a LOT longer than usual for things to show up but so far they haven't lost any shipments.

It appears that most of the shipments are getting held up in Customs for 1-2 weeks for some unknown reason.

Always best to cross the border if it's not too inconvenient.

I'm in the shop 7am-4pm M-F EST....