Author Topic: flooding?  (Read 1608 times)

Offline richie49

• Garage guy
flooding?
« on: July 25, 2020, 03:23:31 PM »
  Now this is going to be a little strange post. I have a quadrajet for my caddy 500 ci. I got new needles and jet, had the bottom plate bushed and idle tubes ect.. I have done some modds on this carb to get it to proform.The carb past idle really kicks as-. The problem is with the idling.It flooded my engine . I had a electric fuel pump set at 6# pressure.Just using the electric to fill carb from long sitting times. I was checking lights for a inspection (didn't know pump was on) It flooded bad filled the enging really full of gas. After draining oil ,replacing plugs ect I looked the carb over ,found nothing. I did take it apart and reset float and all gaskets ect. I then hooked up pump and regulater to carb setting it on blocks and watched for leaks, none showed  up so I thought good to go. Put it back together and and it ran good for about ten minutes or so then started flooding again .It will not flood with fuel and pressure to it but start on car and it will kill the engine. Is there something that causes this that i'm overlooking? I got it running with a different carb same # for a 76 CADDY  I will not reuse this carb till I can find something wrong with it! Shame because it runs so good when kicking the pedal.

Offline tayto

• Carb lover
Re: flooding?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2020, 05:28:34 PM »
did you retain the clip that holds the needle to the float? there is a TSB posted about how to hook it up correctly. cliff recommends to discard it during install when using an electric pump.

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2020, 05:07:17 AM »
What is the carburetor part number?

Exactly what was done to it?

What parts did you use including the size of the fuel inlet seat?

There are many reasons why it would flood.  I'd start by pressure testing the needle/seat assembly and looking to see if it's leaking at the gasket under it.  Common problem associated with the issues you are having......

Offline richie49

• Garage guy
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2020, 09:10:12 AM »
I got new needles and jet idle tubes and gasket. When it first flooded I went over it and reset floats and checked it over. I put it up on some blocks (not on engine) and hooked up the electric pump and regulater set at 6# ,turned it on and it filled up carb I fliped the throttle blades to make sure it had fuel at accelerator pump and left the pump on and after gas dryed out on bench no more gas leaked anywhere. But when back on the motor it floods. The carb is a 15066230  from a 1976 caddy 500 cube. This carb is no longer needed but I am curius as  why I cant find a reason for it's flooding.
          Richard

Offline 77cruiser

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2020, 07:52:41 PM »
Did you try lowering the press?
Jim

Offline richie49

• Garage guy
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2020, 09:28:36 AM »
Nope didn't try that. When you set it up on a bench so you can watch what's happening I figured that wouldn't help. Not being on the intake but up in the air and  6# pressure  it didnt do anything. This carb has always been a problem.
   One reason for it's lousy reliability is because  My project car has been in the making for almost 20 years. It would run great for a while then mess up. I have gone thru it a lot refreshing it up over the years. In the last 2 years of driving it on and off it just doesnt wont to behave.   I'm going sniper F.I. so it's no longer a issue but it just bumms me out that this carb is the first one I have done that I coun't get to run perfect. Darn sure not a guru but have always did ok    Thanks for the replys.
         Richard

Offline Kenth

• Jet Head
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2020, 01:53:05 PM »
An inlet needle clip located in one of the holes on float arm is a recipe for flooding.
Clip should be "hanged in" from behind of the float arm to not bind.