Author Topic: Any Advantages To Keeping Long Fuel Filter Housing With In-Line Filter?  (Read 1146 times)

Offline Brian B.

• Carb lover
When switching to a separate in-line fuel filter between mechanical pump and carb, are there any fuel delivery advantages to retaining a long filter housing versus replacing it with the short version or even an adapter?  Thank you.

Offline Brian B.

• Carb lover
Re: Any Advantages To Keeping Long Fuel Filter Housing With In-Line Filter?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2020, 09:28:31 AM »
.Reason for the ask .....

I was wondering if the extra bit of fuel it might hold is a useful reservoir near the needle & seat for hard launches at track.  Don't know, just asking.   Thank you.

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2020, 06:01:09 AM »
I would NOT put any type of filter on the pressure side of a mechanical pump with rubber lines and clamps.   First of all most folks just cut the steel line and don't even put a "bulge" on it to keep the hose from sliding off.    Second rubber hose deteriorates and can cause leak and engine fire. 

I've drag strip tested a long paper filter vs no filter at all and it didn't show any loss in ET or MPH at the track.

If you want to make an improvement on the pressure side of the pump you can go to a shorter housing and use a Marine micro-screen filter.  They also work fine on side inlet carbs with the stock short housing even the later carbs if you put a longer spring behind them. 

I sell them here, and shorter housings for the 1971 and later front inlet carbs to convert to the high flow Marine fuel filters........

Offline Brian B.

• Carb lover
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2020, 06:50:01 PM »
Thank you for the feedback on paper filters Cliff.  I was going with all metal line in any event.  Very interesting about paper however.