Author Topic: 17057213  (Read 1479 times)

Offline Pav8427

• Carb lover
« on: January 19, 2021, 07:42:16 AM »
Looking to see what kind of potential a 17057213 has. I found one I would like to pick up as a rebuilder for later. Not sure what it might go on. Havent laid eyes on it, but by the pics it is in nice shape. Only reason I am considering it is because of condition and plating. I realize it could be one of those 'lipstick on a pig' units, but the price is right just for plating. Even it it requires some extra work it could be worth it if  it is possible to be made to work. Even if not a max effort application.
What are your thoughts?
Thanks in advance.

Doug.

Offline Kenth

• Jet Head
Re: 17057213
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2021, 09:08:37 AM »
With proper mods for the application just as good as any other early style 750 cfm casting Quadrajet.

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2021, 04:20:39 AM »
+2

It is actually a better choice that most early divorced choke Chevy side in let units because it is an early single main airbleed model. 

They were used in 1977 and 1978 on truck engines and the only smaller divorced choke castings to use that design.  The single main airbleed models are an improvement from the early design in terms of efficiency as they have a stronger signal to the jets and not nearly so much emulsion air.

I like those particular units so much I build a lot of them to replace early Chevy carburetors that are weathered and aged making them a poor choice for rebuilding........Cliff 

Another upside is that they use an APT system in the baseplate so they can be set up for full control of part throttle A/F without taking the carb apart.

Offline Pav8427

• Carb lover
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2021, 07:42:53 AM »
I did get this core. Without tearing it down, is there any tell tale sign this is original or a quality rebuild? The plating is nice. Not new, but nice. New secondary hanger and hardware. Flatheads in center are stamped 'M'. Some choke parts missing. But minor. What staming/casting numbers should I atleast look at to verify it isnt one of those 'rebuilder' units.

Thanks. Doug

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2021, 05:26:59 AM »
Look for Phillips head screws used to assemble.

Lead plugs driven into the idle bypass holes in the main casting voids.

Heavy grinding on the primary shaft to remove the staked screws and non-standard screws used to hold the throttle plates down.

Incorrect jets and metering rod.

The "post" on the bottom of the power piston cut off.

Smashed/damages secondary fuel nozzles and/or driven in too far.

Power piston hanger arms bent WAY up, down or all over the place.

No markings on the jets or metering rods.

That should be enough, getting tired of typing but anything commercially remanufactured will be a MESS!.......

Offline Pav8427

• Carb lover
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2021, 12:34:11 PM »
Thanks Cliff. From the outside looks like I got a nice core.

Have a great day. Doug