Author Topic: Poor idle  (Read 3073 times)

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
Re: Poor idle
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2021, 05:59:17 PM »
Take a look inside the carb at idle speed and see if fuel is dribbling in off the boosters.

Gently place your hand over the carb or "tip-in" the choke flap to see if it idles any better?...

Offline Guadzilla

• Garage guy
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2021, 10:39:24 PM »
Choking it doesn't help.  It isn't running rich.  Plugs are on the white side.

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2021, 04:52:39 PM »
I didn't say to "choke it", just tip in the choke flap or gently place your hand over the primary side of the carb to richen it up just a tad and see if it helps?

If it's lean at idle adding a little fuel shown show some improvement....

Offline Guadzilla

• Garage guy
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2021, 06:22:34 PM »
Ok I'll try that to get it to run richer.  I also have a 7028266 carb with rebuilt by Holley sticker on it.  I may put it on and see if it idles better with it. 

Offline Kenth

• Jet Head
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2021, 12:27:42 AM »
Save yourself lots of headaces, new gray hair and vocabulary NOT using the Holley "Frankencarb", they usually are a pile of mismatching and hacked up parts.
It may idle due to the stupid drilled out idle circuit and plugged idle bypass air but it will never run right at speed with decent fuel usage.

I repeat, the RAIV cam in a 400 will need 15° initial timing.
And your RamAir III, IV, 455 RamAir carb #7040570 will need at least .037" idle tubes and .055"-.059" idle down channel restrictions.
Also, #73 jets with #43 rods will make your car fly.

Offline Guadzilla

• Garage guy
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2021, 04:42:31 PM »
Cliff Can I buy the 037 idle tubes and other suggested items from you or what is your rate to go over the carb if I sent it out to you, hoping that it doesn't get lost in the mail.

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2021, 04:09:35 AM »
I can supply parts for it and precision drill bits.  Shipping would be very expensive back and forth....

Offline bry593

• Carb lover
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2021, 09:37:41 AM »
Probably ought to pull your idle tubes (like an idle jet in a motorcycle).  They have tiny holes and get easily get plugged.  Most likely, your tube size is smaller than .037, so good time to drill it and the DCR out.

Easy way to remove them is to use a drill bit the size of the tube, pointy end up and just lightly tap it in.  The collar will stay in place.  Don't worry if the tube drops out of the collar, once the collar is removed, turn the carb upside down and the tube will fall out.

To remove the collar, use a small screw.  I don't like drywall screws, use a fine thread small screw and thread it in an 1/8" or so.  Then use your needle nose pliers to pry up and it should pop right out.  If it doesn't, warm the carb body with a butane/propane/map torch just for 5 secs or so and try again.  Be sure to place a piece of sheet metal or wood under the pliers to protect the little ridges on top of the body.  Those ridges are used to keep the airhorn gasket sealed and in place.

Once removed, tap the collar back on by hammering on the small tube end and driving it into the collar.  THEN drill the small end .037".