Author Topic: BT7704 - Borroughs Carburetor Choke Angle Gauge  (Read 1642 times)

Offline 68c10

BT7704 - Borroughs Carburetor Choke Angle Gauge
« on: February 12, 2021, 06:20:04 AM »
Although it seems obvious how to use this tool, it’s not really. The issue I am trying to understand is do you have to make sure the link rod is kept at the top of the plate to remove the linkage looseness?

If you let the weight of the gauge take out the link looseness as its center of gravity goes over the choke plate axis, and adjust after that, subsequent functioning the choke pulloff without the gauge doesn’t move the plate at all. It stays closed. So that doesn’t seem correct.

I’m assuming that the pulloff should move the choke plate from closed to the 23deg (in my case) without the gauge in place. Is this correct?

Anybody with more detailed instructions for these type of tools?

Offline 68c10

Re: BT7704 - Borroughs Carburetor Choke Angle Gauge
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2021, 07:08:18 PM »
Sorry, attachments don’t seem to import. Probably my error, but I tried all I could think of.

Offline 68c10

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2021, 07:59:09 AM »
In the absence of any advice, I adjusted the angle gauge so that the center of gravity was always trying to close the choke. This isn’t really how most of the instruction graphics I found indicate, but as I said, allowing the air flap to flip over with the tool weight results in not moving the flap if the tool isn’t in place.

I was expecting failure with the carb on the vehicle, but it actually works okay so far.

So if the way I was using the tool is wrong it doesn’t seem to result in any issues.

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2021, 10:58:20 AM »
They made some nice tools for such things but they aren't needed.

The best way to adjust a choke pull-off is to use a mighty vac pump and apply the pull-off with the choke closed and measure the open portion with a drill bit as a gauge.

I've done so many I just eye-ball them, and they are right on the money more times than not.  I always do final adjustments on the engine as quickly as I can after a cold start.

The later carbs with adjustable pull-offs are easy.  Early stuff where you are bending links and such are more challenging, but a perfect end result can only be obtained setting on the engine where it will be used........Cliff