Quadrajet Problem Solving > Buy Quadrajet Parts, Quadrajet Kits, Service

Quadrajet identification and rebuild kit

(1/1)

rad1026:
Hello Cliff, I haven't been here in a while.  Offered to rebuild my brother in laws Quad on his boat since mine went so well.  Can you identify this carb, I could not find any numbers on it.  I would like a complete rebuild kit with cam, choke pull off, etc.  The engine is a chevy 5.0L.  Which is not the original engine in the boat.  Let me know what other information you may need. Thank you for the help. 

Rick in Albuquerque

Kenth:
Typical "frankencarb".
Started its life on a Chevy vehicle, then someone "converted" it for marine usage.
Who knows what´s inside.
Also, Carter never manufactured any Quadrajet marine carbs.

I would look for a correct marine Rochester Quadrajet.

rad1026:
Thanks, I appreciate your reply.  Kind of what I thought.  With the condition of other things I have seen on the boat it doesn't surprise me the previous owner took the cheap way out.  But I need to get this thing back together and at least set it up as well as I can and get it back to my brother in law so he can get the boat running.  Then he can decide how he moves forward from there. 

Cliff Ruggles:
Kenth is correct on that carb.

I'd also add that the companies making those are CLUELESS as to how to set one up for a Marine application.   I get them sent here on occasion as the owner doesn't know that his original Marine unit is long gone and replaced with one of those POS!

The best course of action is to locate a real Marine unit and completely/correctly rebuild it instead.

Marine carburetors were special castings and designed from the ground up to work where the engine will be heavily loaded most of it's life.  An automotive carb in contrast was designed to spend most of it's life at light load gently sipping fuel and meeting emission standards.

Marine units are not emission calibrated, and 99 percent of them will not have provisions for vacuum advance or PCV. 

There are a few exceptions to that rule, but very few.  On a few occasions I've spent the time and funds to make one of those work and at the end of the process wished I would have just built the customer a real Marine unit in the first place.......Cliff

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version