Author Topic: Really high secondary enrichment holes  (Read 1535 times)

Offline Glutenfreecarbs

• Garage guy
Really high secondary enrichment holes
« on: July 14, 2021, 04:11:39 AM »
See attached photo; this is an Oldsmobile carb 7043250 that I rebuilt with Cliff's kit and have been daily-driving lately. I've mostly got the WOT transition "de-bogged" by returning to the stock settings (1/2 turn spring load, 1/32" linkage lash, CG rods).

But one quirk of this unit is the secondary enrichment holes are situated ~1/8" above the air valve flaps. Would there be any benefit to "notching" the flaps in this case? Or are they so high up that it doesn't matter?

This carb might be coming back into the shop this weekend for idle tube replacement anyway; I think the driver-side tube randomly plugged up last night...

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
Re: Really high secondary enrichment holes
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2021, 04:28:02 AM »
If you are leaving a tiny bit of slack in the linkage to the secondaries that's probably good enough as it allows the flaps to "tip-in" slightly causing the fuel to get pulled straight down the front of the openings instead of out onto the flaps.

I'm guessing this is just some sort of "driver" and not a serious drag racing set-up with excellent power to weight, etc.

The absolute best scenario is to relocate the holes under the flaps and run no slop in the linkage and a timed pull-off with about 1/2 turn on the spring.  If the link is set up to just barely hold the flaps tightly shut this pulls fuel very quickly from the POE system and into the intake to cover up any potential lean spots and best transition to WOT.

Second best set-up is to use holes with larger openings but still restricted like the 1975-79 Pontiac carbs (except the 301's).  Those large openings were lined up directly with solid flaps to put maximum "pull" on the POE system and still supply the fuel to the intake not out onto the flaps.

In any and all cases the pull-off is a BIG player with smooth transition.  When the carb is set up correctly you should not "feel" the secondaries "kick-in".  Power from idle to the shift point should be smooth, strong and continuous with no lag anyplace.

Even with that said to this day I see folks removing the pull-off link and winding the spring WAY too tight in some attempt to get the secondaries in quickly or "kick-in". 

If you "feel" a noticeable transition you aren't there yet.  Tune until you don't feel anything but a strong rush of power an no lag in power anyplace.  At that point it may "feel" a little boring or flat but rest assured when done correctly you will log the best ET and MPH or quickest times from point A to point B if you are doing WOT testing from a standing start.

I'll add here that the "butt meter" is a HORRIBLE method to evaluate engine power and vehicle performance.  Since we interpret a big "rush" in power or noticeable transition with improvements it will lie to you every single time......FWIW.

Below is a clip of my daily driver at the track with perfect traction.  Listen closely to the engine as the car launches and pulls thru the gears.  This is what you are tuning for........Cliff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zVdoLR-VzM

Offline Glutenfreecarbs

• Garage guy
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2021, 01:20:40 PM »
Thanks for all the info Cliff. My car is a just a big 4-door family-hauler, but I still like being able to quickly and reliably go to WOT, especially on Cleveland freeways where 80 MPH has become the new minimum.

I think this carb is a good candidate for your "under the flap" modification; I'll re-read that page of your book and start tooling up. My only concern is whatever  I plug the original holes with could come loose and get sucked into the engine.

Nice launch at Norwalk, BTW!

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2021, 02:39:20 AM »
No worries about removing the tubes and putting them back in place.  A little red Loctite and staking them gently with a small rounded end punch and good to go.....

Offline Glutenfreecarbs

• Garage guy
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2021, 05:42:04 PM »
Just a followup: I couldn't really maintain a stable and comfortable angle to drill new discharge ports (even with the air door removed), so I simply chamfered the ports to ~0.105". See attached pic.

The improvement is noticeable; I can randomly stomp the gas pedal at any speed and smoothly accelerate with no bog or lean spots, even in hot weather, uphill, A/C engaged, etc.