Author Topic: Why I left the Performance Years Forum  (Read 1585 times)

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
Why I left the Performance Years Forum
« on: December 13, 2021, 05:58:43 AM »
Not sure how many members here visit or use the Performance Years Forum but I wanted to put this up here for those that do.

After being a member on PY for 20 years I left a few months ago.  If you own, drive, build or are a Pontiac enthusiast it is a great information source, so not going to talk bad about the Forum in general.

I will mention that the reason I left is not exactly accurate as the Moderators over there have tried to convey. 

I left there because they failed to enforce the rules for posting and allowed a single Forum member to follow me around like a stalker.  Yes, just about every single time I'd put up information based on many years of direct testing with these things I'd have someone come on with conflicting information, negative comments or just being plain rude, condescending, etc.  It got so bad that they would recommend that folks asking questions about where to buy parts NOT do business with me and recommend other vendors. 

I'd also add here that the Forum member doing this has ZERO experience with any of it, just "googling" up information from other sources and NEVER once provided a single example from their own experiences.  In my book that doesn't make the grade and just muddies the water when folks are looking for help with a problem.  They also ended many of the negative and conflicting comments aimed in my direction with LMFAO, which by itself is a personal attack aimed directly at the person who supplied the information in a degrading manner.  That will NEVER be tolerated here for any reason so be warned in advance.

I tried to get the Moderators on PY to correct the issues but they did nothing.  They even agreed that the person in question had a "hard-on" for me, but refused to give them a vacation and their solution was for me to simply ignore the comments. 

Folks, tha'st complete BS and I'll remind anyone and everyone posting here that IF you act like a troll, jerk, or do not respect others in any way you are very swiftly going to get a permanent vacation from this Forum.

Anyhow, here is a link to the "exit" post and the moderators "weak" reason trying to defend their decision on the matter. 

https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=855108
« Last Edit: December 12, 2023, 03:28:30 AM by Cliff Ruggles »

Offline Shiny

• Carb lover
Re: Why I left the Performance Years Forum
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2021, 09:05:09 AM »
You had lots of support on PY and many expressed their disappointment over the loss, including me.  The moderators shut down the thread that allowed us all to comment on your decision.  I guess I don't know their world but seemed inconsistent with them allowing the stalker to continue his aggression.

I have followed that forum for about 15 yrs and your posts were one of the reasons I keep reading it.

I appreciate there are different opinions and different approaches to solving problems.  But since I don't know squat I recognized your information and advice was honest, direct, and based on experience well beyond most people on PY.

Your parts, advice, and guidance helped me over and over...  my carb issues, filtering magic camshaft claims, marketing vs reality, auto trans details, timing, vac advance, timing chains, etc...

Net:

- Thank you for all you contributed... it's still there and I'll still use it.

- Sorry the environment allowed by the PY moderators was less than civil.

- Keep this forum going!

Mike

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2021, 08:06:05 AM »
Thanks for the support and kind words.

Another reason I left was that their rules for posting are not strict enough and poorly enforced. 

Here on this Forum if you act like a jerk, troll, a "hater", or condescending to another board member you're going to get a permanent vacation.  That doesn't mean you can't have fun and joke around, especially if you have history with the other person, but rest assured I'll take quick action if you even act like you aren't posting with respect to others and in good spirit of the community......Cliff

Offline Burd

• Carb lover
  • Deep in the Ghetto
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2021, 06:15:31 AM »
The thread is now locked over, typical PY BS
I wanted to post I talked to you and you had your own forum.
1978 YEE
1995 Q45
F ire
B irds

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2021, 10:35:57 AM »
I heard they locked it up and the Moderators made it sound like some sort of pissing contest about camshafts or something to that sort.  To be perfectly honest here I could care less what camshaft someone else chooses to use in their engine.  The fact that folks make poor choices has kept me gainfully employed now for many years. 

When I go on Forums and respond to threads I ALWAYS convey accurate information as I know it to be from direct testing or experiences with the topic at hand. 

I'm not really a big fan of Googling up the results of others and if that is your ONLY resource the information is 2nd or 3rd hand and more times than not it isn't completely accurate or applies directly to the topic being discussed. 

Sadly enough we see a LOT of that sort of thing these days, folks who've never built an engine or ported their first cylinder head making camshaft recommendations among other parts to others for their new engine build.....good luck with all that!........Cliff

Offline Burd

• Carb lover
  • Deep in the Ghetto
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2022, 07:20:26 AM »
It used to be a good forum, good Pontiac info, now it’s mostly guys posting stupid questions or posting dumb answers to run up a huge post count.  Like 50 pages of how warm your oil should be when changing.  And your rite, mods not doing their jobs.   I’m with you.  Glad you have this forum for legit carb questions. 
1978 YEE
1995 Q45
F ire
B irds