Author Topic: Carb cleaning  (Read 2705 times)

Offline old cars

• Carb lover
Re: Carb cleaning
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2022, 09:40:14 AM »
Kenth I am assuming you meant Phosphoric Acid . Do you have any pictures of finished product ( carb )?

Offline Kenth

• Jet Head
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2022, 12:30:36 AM »
Correct, should be phosphoric acid.
Here is my RA Qjet before and after blasting with plastic media.

Offline 77cruiser

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2022, 07:11:32 AM »
That looks great.
 I tried baking soda once & it took the coating off. Wouldn't thing it would.
Jim

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2022, 09:53:25 AM »
The coating on the main parts and castings are considered sacrificial.  In other words they give up their molecules over many years of exposure to the atmosphere instead of the parts they are protecting rusting, oxidizing, pitting out, etc.

Once those coatings are gone, like the zinc that covers the metal parts, rust sets in quickly.  Bead blasting or anything that "etches" the main casting and airhorn will allow the base material direct exposure to fuel on the inside and everything else on the outside. 

This new fuel is pretty hard on some metal parts.  It delaminates the newer Holley castings, especially the brightly polished looking Street Avenger series.  I've had enough of them sent here pitted out on the inside to know that it happens.

The jury is out on how well the Quadrajet casting hold up done in similar fashion.  I don't put them out there that way so don't get any direct feedback from that deal.......

Offline old cars

• Carb lover
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2022, 03:44:03 AM »
"The jury is out on how well the Quadrajet casting hold up done in similar fashion.  I don't put them out there that way so don't get any direct feedback from that deal......."

Not sure what you meant " done in similar fashion "

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2022, 04:52:27 AM »
I NEVER bead blast main castings and put them back in service without giving them a "bath" to color them like the factory did.  I see a lot of folks bead blasting or chemically cleaning them then back in service.  All "remanufactured" carbs I've seen are done that way, all finish removed then reassembled and sold. 

I not sure how well the bare castings will hold up in this new fuel as the ethanol can be very hard on certain types of metal like the cheap castings Holley uses for their Street Avenger series carburetors........

Offline Burd

• Carb lover
  • Deep in the Ghetto
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2022, 07:30:14 AM »
I like the gallon my mechanic got me, it doesn’t take the color off, just the varnish.  That’s all I want to remove
1978 YEE
1995 Q45
F ire
B irds