Author Topic: Winter projects?  (Read 1619 times)

Offline Glutenfreecarbs

• Garage guy
Winter projects?
« on: March 11, 2022, 11:31:49 AM »
The forum looks a little quiet, so I figured I'd ask: what is everybody working on this winter? Engine rebuilds, paint/body/resto, or just preventive maintenance?

Nothing exciting happening in my shop; just did main throttle shaft bushings on a 7043250 while I was visiting a friend with a drill press.

Offline quadrajam

• Carb lover
Re: Winter projects?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2022, 08:25:14 PM »
It certainly has been quiet. I had a winter engine build
planned but just havent got to it. probably a spring project now.

Offline Greasy Harley

• Garage guy
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2022, 04:58:21 PM »
The shop is too cold to do much in the winter. Now that spring is here, the list is long:

Jeep- 1" body lift, 1" motor mount lift, tummy tuck, Slip yoke eliminator, rear truetrac
C10- New engine (350), Auto trans conversion, replace rocker panels.
Honda car- EGR valve, ABS module, stereo, full interior detail (remove interior and clean everything)
Blazer- rebuild carb, rebuild power rams for plow.
Harley- add turn signals, it's getting too congested around here to rely on hand signals >:( .
Shop- keep adding insulation so I can get some of this done in the winter.
I'm sure there's more, that's all I can think of right now ...I better get to work.
-Russ

Offline old cars

• Carb lover
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2022, 09:38:33 AM »
I am helping a friend restore a 1971 Black Cuda 383 4 speed. Also helping my brother in law rebuild the engine in his 1969 Chevelle 427 425 HP Copo that he bought in 1969.

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2022, 12:08:34 PM »
A 383 four speed in a 71 Cuda is pretty rare.  Saw very few of those back in the day.  Another rare Mopar offering was the 383 in the 1969 Dart.  383 powered Roadrunners and Chargers were dime a dozen when I was in High School.  I owned, drove and raced a 1970 Roadrunner back then, and had the car for quite a few years after I graduated high school, eventually selling it to raise a family, like many of us did back in those days........

Offline Too Fast

• Garage guy
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2022, 09:02:22 AM »
Took my gas tank out of the 68 LeMans a few weeks ago to install a low pressure pump.  Nice to hear it come on and prime my carb after the car sits for a few weeks.  Watching my wide band 02s on the LeMans, debating changes.  I have been adjusting the APT and I am pretty happy now, but weird bc primary acceleration is about 1 AF leaner than accelerating. Think, cruising is near 14:1, primary accel is about 15 or 16:1.  When the secondaries come on, still over 15:1.  I'll get it fixed tho.

Helping a friend with his 400 for his 67 LeMans

Enjoying driving in/with my wife in her new Shaker M6 Challenger (not a snow weather car, lol).

Researching heads/cam for my 2000 WS6.

Offline old cars

• Carb lover
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2022, 09:33:17 AM »
"When the secondaries come on, still over 15:1.  I'll get it fixed tho."
Is that secondary acceleration or WOT?

Offline Too Fast

• Garage guy
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2022, 01:56:48 PM »
WOT.  I am working on that.  The secondary air flap used to open way too quickly, huge bog and AFR went to 18:1 and would work its way richer slowly.  Now the bog is almost gone since the vacuum line is almost completely plugged to the pulloff, greatly delaying/slowing the opening. Last time I checked the air flap spring is about 1.25 turns tight, and not broken.  The engine is a .030 over 400 Pontiac, Kauffman 74cc D-port, with 4-tube headers, Pypes X-pipe exhaust, 3.55 diff and 200R4.

The only way I can get it richer than that at WOT is with removing a secondary metering rod. I know, I know, I should never do that but I had to try it.  I bought a 1968 iron intake a couple months ago I haven't installed yet.  Cliff said it is a good intake.  But I don't think that will make much difference on my AF ratio, just a better overall intake than the Performer I did have, or the Offenhauser 360 that is currently on it.  Primary accel is strong; no bog, flat spots or hesitation.

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2022, 02:08:53 AM »
What is the carburetor part number that you are using?

I make adjustable choke pull-offs, and also custom "timed" pull-offs for seamless transition to WOT without having to wind the spring too tight because the pull-off doesn't have enough restriction in it.......