Author Topic: Cliff Ruggles was correct ...again  (Read 1343 times)

Offline joseph lamb

• Garage guy
Cliff Ruggles was correct ...again
« on: July 14, 2022, 04:19:54 PM »
I own a 1973 Z28 RS bought 41 years ago . Great running 350 with L82 Corvette motor with Muncie 4 speed and 3.73 posi . Of course the car was purchased with the original Quadrajet and cast iron intake , which I still have .
          1997 I freshened up the 350 and decided to install an  aluminum intake and a new Holley square bore 650 double pumper and MSD billet distributor .This engine has been beaten mercilessly by the owner since the first day and has never failed to please .
          At the age of 66 I took the leap and swapped out the 4 speed and installed a fresh bulit 700R4 out of a 1984 Corvette. Wanted the wife to be able to drive the car again.
          New automatic with overdrive took the MPG from 12 up to 17 MPG with no other changes . Dropped the RPM at 60 MPH from 3000 down to 2200.
          In the last 6 months I have gotten back into the Quadrajets , had only rebuilt a handfull in the last 40 years . Bought Cliffs books and a few others to get updated on all.
          Called Cliffs place one day ,  never thinking I would get to talk to the author of his book .Cliff answered the phone and answered all my many many questions . Great man .
          Did a QJET on 1968 Olds 455 with advice and parts from Cliff , car is a monster now .
          Installed another QJET on my 1971 Javelin 360 automatic car , and had to use a MR Gasket adapter . Again bought alot of parts from Cliff and followed his advice . Took off good running Edelbrock and the QJET is amazing . Idles great and power is up.
          So now rebuilt 17085212 QJET off 454 RV chevy , used Cliffs advice and put that unit on my  Camaro . New parts kit , new float , new idle tubes , new cam , new primary bushings , etc.
          150 mile road test this morning , 80 degrees out , regular gas, vacuum advance hooked up ,base timing at 12 degrees and all in at 36 degrees at 3000 rpm .
           150 miles at 65 MPH cruise , and used up 7.4 gallons of regular . 20.2 miles per gallon . Told Cliff 5 weeks ago that was my goal and it was not hard to get . APT screw at 3 turns .Idle mix screws at 5 ,cruise vacuum gauge at 18 , Jets are 75 and rods are 58S .Idles great and has plenty of pulling power at WOT.
            I am a carb guy and will never own a FI system .So many failures I have recorded from good friends and customers . Why install something that can fail at any time and leave you HELPLESS on the side of the road ?
            OH , by the way I did a HOT soak test also and let the car idle at 95 degrees for 20 minutes .....Coolant went from 180 to 210 , and I drove the car off after that and no vapor lock and no issues at all . Florida is hot in July , real hot .
            Cliff told me to stay with the basic set up of the 17085212 , and by golly , it worked out terrific . Nothing better than a good QJET and a good Edelbrock fuel pump and fuel filters and clean fuel to make for smiles . Thanks to all on this forum .

Offline AHotRod

• Garage guy
Re: Cliff Ruggles was correct ...again
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2022, 04:58:44 PM »
Joseph,
    What a fantastic report and results, so very happy for you and your skills. I to live in Florida and it is a test for turnability and drivability for sure.
     Enjoy your 20+ MPG, your results should give others hope with their combinations if they are chasing similar results.
     I love my Qjet !
     Glenn in Weeki Wachee Florida

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
Re: Cliff Ruggles was correct ...again
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2022, 02:34:42 AM »
Cool, and thanks for the kind words.

Got to love the 20mpg deal, and will probably be higher IF you can resist the urge to do a few burnouts or full throttle runs here and there!.......