Author Topic: 2nd time installing t.bushings?  (Read 821 times)

Offline F250 Restorer

• Carb lover
2nd time installing t.bushings?
« on: November 01, 2022, 09:07:21 AM »
I have a QJ 17059217 that has had bushings installed before. However, I have a slight wobble in the throttle control arm. The bushing looks paper thin. Is it possible to ream/drill out old bushings and install new?

Offline Kenth

• Jet Head
Re: 2nd time installing t.bushings?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2022, 09:34:49 AM »
Yes!

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2022, 10:02:50 AM »
My bushing install kit installs the thicker bronze oil impregnated bushings.  They will never wear out like brass sleeves.  The custom drill bit will drill right thru the brass sleeves and leave a larger hole for the bronze bushings.

https://cliffshighperformance.com/product/5-16-throttle-shaft-bushing-kit

Offline F250 Restorer

• Carb lover
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2022, 09:22:14 AM »
Great Cliff. I have two sets of your primary bushings ordered. But when I try to find the secondary 3/8 bushings, there is nothing to specify bushing size that I am ordering. If I try to order two primary and two secondary bushing sets, I end up with 4 sets of primary bushings in my cart.

Can you get me two of each?

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2022, 06:08:46 AM »
Put the size you want in the comments where it asks for a carburetor part number.  Or you can call me directly at the shop, I'm here 7am-4pm, M-F EST......

Offline F250 Restorer

• Carb lover
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2022, 10:10:45 AM »
Great. Thanks. I ordered.
I've learned through trial and error to rebush both shafts to eliminate the possibility of a vacuum leak. I get QJ's all the time with the primaries bushed, but the secondary shaft is loose and must have been sucking air.

I guess I've learned to go the extra mile with the QJ. "Fix it while it is apart, all of it. It is so much easier than having to tear it apart a second time."

To forum members reading this: There are a lot of places selling throttle shaft bushings. But check. Most of them are brass, and inferior to those sold by Cliff. His are bronze, and much better.