Author Topic: Frankencarb?  (Read 1900 times)

Offline Shiny

• Carb lover
Re: Frankencarb?
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2023, 01:15:43 PM »
Thanks again Kenth

Understood about going to a weaker spring in the power piston.  I can do that.

The rest I will leave as-is.

Greatly appreciate your help.

Mike

Offline Shiny

• Carb lover
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2023, 07:21:34 PM »
Cliff and others have warned about leaving an "extra" gasket below the inlet seat.

Please look at the image and interpret.  I think there may be a metal washer but if there is, it is stuck good, possibly by corrosion or got swaged by bead blasting.

Does this look like there's a washer or not?  I think the depth of the seating surface below the casting surface would be the best indicator but I have nothing to compare with.

If this looks "wrong", and there is indeed an extra gasket or washer in the body, how do I get it out?  Can I just whack it with a hammer and punch?  I'm obviously reluctant to do that if the sealing surface is good.

Thanks,

Mike

Offline Kenth

• Jet Head
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2023, 01:13:35 AM »
It looks like remnants of a gasket remain.

Offline Shiny

• Carb lover
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2023, 07:21:50 AM »
I ran a sharp stylus around it and created or at least emphasized the groove you highlight but I do think there is a steel washer stuck there...  I will find a small magnet.

Was there a steel insert originally or is this likely a "gasket" that got left by the rebuilder?

Can anyone share a photo of this same inlet bore and seat from the same vintage carb?

I'm concerned about damaging the carb if I try to pull it out.

I'm also concerned about the remaining sealing surface if I do get it out.

The seat was sealed against this with a new gasket and did not leak.

If I leave this "assumed" steel washer in place and use a new washer on top, I think it will raise the height of the needle and seat.  Is this going to cause any issue?  I was able to set the float height and the needle and seat were verified before I removed them, so I"m not sure there is a strong motivation to risk damaging the carb.

Thoughts?

Offline Shiny

• Carb lover
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2023, 07:05:04 AM »
The washers are aluminum so can't detect with a magnet.  I decided to leave it alone and had no problem getting the new needle and seat to seal.  I still don't know if there was an old washer but if so, it did not cause the float to interfere with splash filler nor cause any problem I could detect.

Offline Shiny

• Carb lover
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2023, 06:50:26 PM »
Frankencarb has been fixed!  I sent it off to a pro.. I bolted it on and my engine is idling like never before.

I know he found and fixed a vacuum leak at the APT screw I replaced when I first rebuilt the carb.  I apparently had drilled through the base casting when removing the old screw and installing a helicoil.  I'm not sure what he did with the APT but I suspect it is now "fixed" and not adjustable.

He also drilled holes in the main casting to add bypass air.  The holes in the base were too large so he made smaller holes.

He also machined the long-annoying inlet fitting seal surface and machined that rough sealing surface for the inlet seat.

I now know to avoid a re-manufactured carb and while the mismatched parts did not disable the carb, they added a lot of confusion.

Offline von

• Carb lover
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2023, 02:54:38 AM »
Who was the pro that machined your inlet sealing surface?

Offline Shiny

• Carb lover
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2023, 08:59:18 AM »
Reach out to Cliff.  He may still do this work and I value his parts and advice.  The carb was rebuilt 3 times in the course of getting it right and I used Cliff's kits every time.  His parts were never the issue and definitely helped get it right.  I now know why he hates re-manufactured carbs.  If he doesn't do this kind of work, send me a PM.

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2023, 05:16:27 PM »
I'm retired from carburetor rebuilding and restoration and mostly just selling parts these days.  That is keeping me busier than I want to be.

It's pretty simple to face the fuel inlet gasket surface IF you have the right equipment......

Offline von

• Carb lover
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2023, 01:28:27 AM »
What I'm looking for is someone that can machine the seal surface of the fuel line fitting seal on the outside of the carb body. It's a '69 Chevelle Q jet.

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2023, 02:37:03 AM »
Those are difficult as you have to dig into the main casting a bit.  Any competent machinist should be able to accomplish that task for you.  It's all about the set-up with the side inlet carbs as you much be perfectly in line with the fuel filter housing threads or it will leak......