Author Topic: Carb Refresh for 1971 Chevy C20  (Read 999 times)

Offline Rickys61

Carb Refresh for 1971 Chevy C20
« on: March 28, 2023, 04:13:40 AM »
Just started working on a ‘71 C20 that has been sitting around for about 25 years. Truck is all original with about 66000 miles on it. I plan on using it to tow my ‘61 Biscayne drag car to the track on an open trailer.
 Its a very basic truck with a 350 and turbo 350. Im going to try to keep it as original as i can for now and just want to make it run as best I can. I called and ordered some parts from Cliff on Friday and they already showed up yesterday. Looking forward to getting the carb back on and may be asking a few questions here along the way if i get stumped. I think ive read everything here on the forum since i joined lasy week.
  Thanks!
   Rick

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
Re: Carb Refresh for 1971 Chevy C20
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2023, 07:12:35 AM »
Being all original is good.  Hopefully no oil leaks anyplace from gaskets drying up for so long.  66,000 miles is low for one of those engines so it should be good for a while without going into it.  One thing I have seen however is that the factory used "O" rings to seal things up inside the retainers/oil shields.  They have a nasty habit of getting hard, brittle and breaking up with age.  This results in oil consumption as no other type of valve seal was used back then......

Offline Rickys61

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2023, 07:22:05 AM »
I know its been a while since my original post so thought id give an updaye on this project. I rebushed the primary shaft with Cliffs kit and it worked perfectly. Put the carb together following close instructions and using tips from his book and the truck runs flawlessly. Have put about 400 miles on it in the last few weeks since getting it together and even used it to tow my car out to the Gasser reunion at Thompson last weekend. Theres still a few little gremlins to work out with it but its nothing I wont be able to sort out while i drive it…..
  Thanks!
   Rick

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2023, 01:12:29 AM »
Good news and thanks for the update!....