Author Topic: Tips and Tricks that Work. No BS.  (Read 980 times)

Offline Pav8427

• Carb lover
Tips and Tricks that Work. No BS.
« on: May 02, 2023, 04:00:27 PM »
I have been "stalking" Cliff for a few years here and elsewhere and am always educated when it comes to the knowledge given.
I just read a response here where he suggests tuning the float clip. Never heard of that one and now I have another skill I can apply to my builds.
Another one was to leave a bit of play in the air valve to help the POE get a lead on things.
I am sure there are more and wondering if anyone else has these tid bits that may be overlooked or not taken into consideration when building these carbs.
I know here there will be No BS involved.
Just tips/trucks that work.
Thank you Cliff for helping this novice to help others.

Doug.

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
Re: Tips and Tricks that Work. No BS.
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2023, 05:43:38 PM »
You are most welcome.  Yep, makes me wonder how many folks just push the clip on the needle and hang it on the float and never even check to see if it's attached well, xxxxing sideways, or not even lifting the needle when the float drops to the bottom of the bowl?

I "set" all of them here, so that there is about .010" of clearance before the float can move and start pulling the needle with it.  So it's basically well attached and following the movements of the float.  This also minimizes any wobbling around and potential to bind things up, especially if you have failed to crimp it down tighter so it has a good fit on the needle.

I'll also add that I NEVER use the clip on my own carburetors, it is not needed, but for sure I'm never going to let the carb sit very long without being used, and always keep the fuel fresh in my vehicles.

If you thing the clip is required consider this.  I've used the same carb on 5 different engines dating back over 40 years and no clip on the needle.  That vehicle was won the Tri Power Nationals at Norwalk five times with two trips to the King of the Hill race (last man standing).  I've also raced the car and won quite a few other events over the years and the carb has always been flawless.

My fuel delivery system is about as good as it gets, 140gph electric pump, regulator set at 7.5psi, return system to the tank, and 8AN lines/fittings everywhere.  I also do quite a few full race and street/strip carburetors and never use clips on the needles.  For most everything else they get the clip, especially Marine applications that live in a HORRIBLE environment and most see very little use and plenty of "stale" fuel ran thru them.......

Offline Pav8427

• Carb lover
Re: Tips and Tricks that Work. No BS.
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2023, 01:58:55 PM »
I have always gotten a little insight of some sorts from these real life experience 'stories'.
The fact that you put them out there for everyone to learn from gets respect from those who really listen.
Maybe instead of a whole new 2nd book, like you have been asked to do, you could throw out that random 'service bulletin' post on subjects just like this float clip tuning.
Some of that off the wall,uncommon,not asked about stuff.
I know I would subscribe.