Author Topic: 15 % alchohol approved for our gas pumps in nebraska.  (Read 2095 times)

Offline omaha

• Jet Head
15 % alchohol approved for our gas pumps in nebraska.
« on: November 02, 2010, 07:02:17 PM »
I am not sure of all the details but it seems that 15% alchohol has been approved by the state of nebraska. Now does this mean we will be forced to run this in the low priced gas or will there be an option. I am not 100 % sure. I sure hope I will not be forced to run this crap.
    Of course the news blip that I heard made it sound like it was a win for the state. (being that the stuff is made out of corn). Dont people understand that it takes a bunch of energy to make this alchohol?
I guess that they dont understand that the BTU content is roughly half the number of gasoline either.
They might not understand that their fuel mileage will suffer either. It's probably the reason they started at 10% and then jumped to 15%. Makes the fuel mileage drop less noticeable. It might be alright if I had about 9.5 to 1 compression but my lowly 318 in my power wagon  is struggling to make it to 8.7.
   Oh well, guess I'll have to bite the bullet and buy the premium, I hope they dont screw with that!

(by the way, yes I have been gone for a while)

Offline slicer87

• Garage guy
Re: 15 % alchohol approved for our gas pumps in nebraska.
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 04:32:19 PM »
 I read that making one gallon ethanol is a 70% energy loss.  :o