Author Topic: Help identifying my mystery Qjet  (Read 779 times)

Offline ourkid2000

• Garage guy
Help identifying my mystery Qjet
« on: June 11, 2023, 08:04:08 AM »
Good day all,

I have learned a ton about these Qjets since I joined and with your help I have been able to make a really good guess at to the origins of my two Qjets. I'm 99% sure I have identified which Qjet in my possession is the correct original one for my 66' Toronado. Before anyone asks, all distinguishing PN's are missing from both of them.

So, on to my second mystery carb, which is most certainly a remanufactured carb. It was purchased  by my uncle back in 1988, in California at an old school carb shop, as a replacement to our damaged original 66' Toronado Qjet. For the life of me, I can't determine what it actually was in the first place.

So let's go over what I feel are the distinguishing features:

- Clearly a reman: 1. Little plug put in the vent, 2. plugged hot idle compensator valve, 3. Plugged external idle vent valve, 4. coating was stripped.
- It's a 1966 design (based on the arm attached to the secondaries) with the secondary dashpot.
- Original throttle linkage appears to be from an A-Body Olds (I think?). It can be removed with a screw and the Toronado one can be installed very easily.
- It came with what looks like to be a Cadillac pull off bracket with an aftermarket fast idle cam and a 1970-71 Chevrolet pull off. This gives it Frankencarb status, in my opinion.
- Triangle clip above the vent hole covers an adjustment screw for the off-idle air bleed. This was a feature not found on non California Qjet's in 1966. I'm not 100% on that, but pretty sure.
- It's not an official Service Replacement carb. Why do I say that? It has the troublesome fuel bypass port inside the float bowl which has been plugged and the inlet needle diaphragm has been replaced with the conventional needle/seat. Service replacement carbs for the 66' models didn't have the boss inside that needed to be plugged and were more like the 67' and beyond Qjets. I checked an official 7041312 (66' Toronado service replacement carb) to be sure.
- Most bizarrely, it has no spot for the round PN medallion. It's a completely flat surface. Usually if there's no round spot there, the PN is stamped into the body in that vertical surface towards the back of the carb. No PN there either.

In the pictures I have provided, you'll see the correct 66' Toronado choke assembly and pull off installed on it. Ignore that as I had the rebuilder put the correct one on there. I have attached a picture of the crazy choke setup that came with the carb (it's the little picture where it's actually on an engine).

So what could it be folks? I am so confused by the fact that the float bowl appears to be from later than 1966 as it doesn't have the round spot for the PN medallion, meanwhile, it still has the bypass fuel plug in the interior.

Thanks for all your help folks! Maybe I'll figure this out someday.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2023, 08:21:20 AM by ourkid2000 »