Author Topic: Distributor Rebuild Kits  (Read 1215 times)

Offline sbc357-75camaro

Distributor Rebuild Kits
« on: August 23, 2023, 11:55:50 AM »
      My mechanic discovered that my advance weights were sticking, causing my inconsistent idle speed. He lubricated them and got them moving freely again, but one of the springs feel very weak, and I think it should be all taken apart and cleaned up.  Just refresh the whole thing and bring it back up to code. Can anyone recommend a good rebuild kit? Are they all pretty much the same, or are some better than others?  It's a stock 1975 GM HEI distributor on a 1975 Camaro. Not looking for any extra performance type stuff; just looking to make if fresh again for good all around performance.  Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated!

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
Re: Distributor Rebuild Kits
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2023, 01:58:30 AM »
I have new springs and pins for HEI's.  Not much needed to "rebuild" one other than taking it completely apart and cleaning everything up and using some grease on the advance mechanism when you put it back together.

You may encounter a worn shaft and lower bushing which is somewhat common with high mileage HEI's. 

I prefer to use stock parts in them.  Those advance curve "kits" are pure JUNK and should be avoided.  Test the vacuum advance and replace it if needed.

I also weld a positive stop all the ones I do here.  There is a basic design flaw in the HEI that can and will allow it to add some timing at high RPM's, especially if the springs get weak or you use lighter springs on it........

Offline 73ss

• Carb lover
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2023, 07:52:27 AM »
I'm in the process of refreshing a Chevy HEI. I have several and am trying to keep everything original Delco/GM.
Question about coil wire colors. Looks like there are 2 styles. One with Red/White leads and another with Red/Yellow leads. lots of stuff on the net that says use the Red/Yellow coil with a Yellow color coded pick up coil. There are different color coded pick up coils as well.
I do have a 1978 Chevy service manual and it does state that all Chevy 6 & 8 cylinder engines use the Yellow pick up coil. The connector itself is yellow and the pick up leads are green/white. Some also have a small yellow zip tie around the leads. The manual says that the ignition coil wire leads are Brown/Pink. I haven't seen one of these. The manual makes no mention of matching the coil with the pick-up coil other than all chevrolets are yellow.

I have 2 original Red/White delco ignition coils and the pick-ups are coded yellow.
Does anyone know the official scoop on this?
Also I've seen in other posts where the 990 module is the preferred one. What makes this module special?

Offline Kenth

• Jet Head
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2023, 10:42:40 AM »
This may help (courtesy to Shurkey for the pic):
And GM/Delco original 990 module is a quality piece, others are so-so.

Offline 73ss

• Carb lover
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2023, 03:09:52 PM »
Thanks for the info. Interesting, I've never had a Buick or Pontiac. I wonder why the coils I have are the Red/White type. I've had these distributors laying around for years. Who knows, May have been swapped out before I got them, but the both have the delco remy stamp which makes me think they are original to the distributors I have.