Author Topic: 78 Qjet stuck on fast idle?  (Read 2694 times)

Offline wazzabie

• Garage guy
78 Qjet stuck on fast idle?
« on: September 08, 2023, 01:41:41 PM »
This is a 1978 4bl qjet.  I pump the gas peddle once and from a cold start, the fast idle is at 1700 rpm.  I'm trying to get the carb to normal idle which is around 700 rpm.  How soon after starting a cold engine should the rpms go to 700 rpm? 

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
Re: 78 Qjet stuck on fast idle?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2023, 02:42:15 AM »
What is the carburetor part number?

What application?

Offline wazzabie

• Garage guy
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2023, 10:55:51 PM »
Thank you for the reply. 

The model number is 17058213.  The qjet is the original carb to a 78 K5 Chevy Blazer with HD federal emissions.

Offline wazzabie

• Garage guy
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2023, 10:46:20 AM »
Also after about 3min at high idle (1700 rpm) I tap the gas.  I notice that the high idle cam falls down but it still runs at 1700 rpm.  I have not placed the vehicle into drive.

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2023, 04:12:40 AM »
The choke flap should be fully open after 3 minutes run time and the fast idle cam should fall ALL the way down.  At this point it should be at curb idle and adjusted on the drivers side of the carb. 

Might help to lubricate the choke parts on the passengers side of the carb to make sure something isn't sticking and not allowing it to return to curb idle.....

Offline wazzabie

• Garage guy
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2023, 09:10:59 AM »
Hi Cliff,  I tried using some wd40 to lubricate the pivot point for the fast idle cam and still have the same condition.  The fast idle cam moves down when I tap the gas but not enough to engage curb idle.  I have to manually push down the fast idle cam the remainder of the way to engage the curb idle.  I'm thinking about adjusting the fast idle cam screw to loosen some tension.  Your thoughts?

Offline lightning boy

• Carb lover
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2023, 04:54:47 AM »
Does this carb have a rear choke pull off?

Offline wazzabie

• Garage guy
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2023, 06:11:13 AM »
Does this carb have a rear choke pull off?

No.  The carb just has a single primary choke pull off.  The choke pull off retracts when the engine starts.

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2023, 01:09:29 PM »
The divorced choke on the intake should get hot enough after a few minutes of run time to overcome the spring inside the pull-off and allow the fast idle cam to drop to the lowest position and over to the curb idle screw.

Check the divorced choke to make sure it's heating up and pulling down hard on the choke.....

Offline wazzabie

• Garage guy
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2023, 02:03:53 PM »
The divorced choke on the intake should get hot enough after a few minutes of run time to overcome the spring inside the pull-off and allow the fast idle cam to drop to the lowest position and over to the curb idle screw.

Check the divorced choke to make sure it's heating up and pulling down hard on the choke.....

Maybe I'm not waiting long enough for the engine to warm up.  I tap the gas after about 3min and it still remains at 1700rpm.  I have to manually push down on the fast idle cam to obtain curb idle.

Offline Kenth

• Jet Head
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2023, 12:26:33 AM »
Is the crossover channel in intake open or did someone close it?

Offline wazzabie

• Garage guy
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2023, 09:28:13 AM »
Is the crossover channel in intake open or did someone close it?

I don't understand what you are asking.  What is the crossover channel?

Offline Kenth

• Jet Head
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2023, 01:14:42 PM »
Crossover channel marked yellow. It heats the manifold for a functional choke and helps convert liquid fuel into a combustible gas.

Offline wazzabie

• Garage guy
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2023, 01:32:16 PM »
Crossover channel marked yellow. It heats the manifold for a functional choke and helps convert liquid fuel into a combustible gas.

There has be no change from stock with the manifold.

Offline Jeff K

• Garage guy
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2023, 03:51:42 PM »
I've had a few that just didn't want to work right. I end up putting a cable on them and every single time I was so happy I did that. If you do use the cable, keep the fast idle cam operational.