Author Topic: Electric Choke Issues?  (Read 882 times)

Offline TravisUT

• Garage guy
Electric Choke Issues?
« on: October 07, 2024, 06:11:32 AM »
Hello, new member here; Apologies if this is a duplicate post! I'm having some issues with my carb and was wondering if anyone could help.

I have a Quadrajet 4 barrel (17080212-1024), mounted to a stock intake on an 84 C20 454. I recently replaced the hot-air choke with an electric choke, and since then, almost every time I start the truck, I get wet black spatter shooting from the exhaust pipe, along with some fuel-smelling smoke. Once the engine warms (choke opens very quickly), the smoke clears and the truck runs great. With the hot-air choke, this problem didn't happen. Also, I recently replaced the spark plugs (they were all fouled, very carbon coated). I don't know if the fouling was just since the electric choke was put on, or if it's been running rich for the last 3 years (since engine and carb rebuild). I've tried adjusting the air/fuel mixture screws, based on RPM, but that didn't seem to help much.

Should I go back to the hot-air choke, or what can be done? I'm not a mechanic, but am comfortable with working on the equipment.

Offline 77cruiser

• Qjet Hero
Re: Electric Choke Issues?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2024, 07:40:52 AM »
Sounds like the pull off isn't opening the choke on start up. It should open about a 1/4 inch on start up.
Jim

Offline quadrajam

• Carb lover
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2024, 06:41:48 PM »
Some items to consider...  The hot air choke had some built-in idle air bypass by design.
You may not have that going on now with the electric choke. Did you change the choke housing
or just the bimetalic coil/cover? Do away with the hot air tubing?
Make sure the loop in the bimetalic coil engages properly with the peg inside the choke housing.
Crack open the throttle and make sure you can twist the black cover and move the choke both directions. Dont reuse the housing gasket and source the choke power from key-on.

That carb should have a rear and front pull-off. The front pull-off also controls the secondary
air valve. Never been a fan of any of the rear pull-offs.I would remove it for now and just
use the front pull-off. Make sure it cracks the choke about a 1/4 inch as 77 mentioned.

QJ

Offline TravisUT

• Garage guy
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2024, 08:25:21 AM »
I just changed out the coil/cover, and did away with the hot air tubing. I still have them though. I will be checking the pull-off's today! In regards to tuning/adjustments: what is the best order to make the adjustments? Should I do the fast idle, primary pull off, secondary pull off, and then choke adjustment, in that order? Or a different order? I'm worried that one adjustment will mess up the other...

Offline quadrajam

• Carb lover
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2024, 05:33:24 PM »
I assume the pull-offs tested good....?
Prop the throttle open a little bit so it doesnt interfere, Rotate the choke cover back and forth
to make sure theres no binding,turn it til it just closes and tighten it down. Apply vacuum
to the front pull-off and it should barely crack open. Note that you can push it a little
more open with your finger due to the normal slop in the link. This is where you want the 1/4 inch
 gap mentioned before. there is a spring loaded phillips screw on the pull-off to adjust this.
When you  crank it up you will have to work quickly back and forth with the speed screws
and it will take several cold start cycles to get it dialed in.

QJ

Offline TravisUT

• Garage guy
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2024, 05:57:04 PM »
I was waiting for a hand vacuum pump from Amazon, and of course the 2-day shipping turned into 3-day, so it won’t be here until tomorrow.  >:(

If I understand correctly, when applying the vacuum to the pull of, I want it to just crack open; and when pushing the pull off linkage all the way in, the full gap should be 1/4”…right?

Offline quadrajam

• Carb lover
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2024, 08:14:10 PM »
I should have been more clearer, you will fully retract the pull-off which should slightly crack the choke blade open then push lightly on the CHOKE BLADE for the 1/4 in. gap betwix the top of the choke blade and the air horn. adjust with the phillips screw on the pull-off.
You can do this with mouth vacuum and a piece of hose. doesnt take much.

Offline Kenth

• Jet Head
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2024, 12:20:57 AM »
This may help some.
Measurement is usually around .160"-.180" at upper/rear end of choke blade for M4 Qjets.

Offline TravisUT

• Garage guy
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2024, 05:36:05 PM »
Ok...I think it's all adjusted now. Got the choke and pull off's set, and it seems to be running good. Didn't spit any wet black spatter, so that's a step in the right direction. Once it was running, I hooked a vacuum gauge up to the big manifold port on the front-bottom of the carb, and adjusted the idle mixture screws to vacuum. Both are set about 3 turns out, and I'm getting 18 inches of vacuum. Is that good/ok?

I'm still getting a bit of smoke, but only on revving; idle and drive is ok with no smoke. I pulled a plug and it was all black. I just replaced those plugs a couple of weeks ago, but I suspect the out-of-tune was causing issues, yes? I don't want to replace them until we're confident the underlying cause is fixed...thoughts?

Offline quadrajam

• Carb lover
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2024, 06:00:32 PM »
Nows the time to set/check all aspects of ignition timing, then get it out on the road
and put some miles on it. That may burn off some plug fouling.
18 inchs of vacuum is probably good. @ what rpm? Ported or manifold vacuum?
HEI distributor?
You may still have some cold start tuning to do but sounds like its close.

QJ

Offline TravisUT

• Garage guy
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2024, 06:16:36 PM »
HEI ignition, idle RPM is around 700-720 with choke off, tested using manifold vacuum. My timing at idle is showing about 1" in front of the timing tab, which ends at 16... Vacuum advance is hooked up as well.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2024, 06:28:42 PM by TravisUT »

Offline Kenth

• Jet Head
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2024, 01:55:48 AM »
"I hooked a vacuum gauge up to the big manifold port on the front-bottom of the carb."

Here is where the hose from the PCV valve should be attached and since it´s a calibrated "vacuum leak" it should be attached while adjusting the idle needles.

Also, timing is to be adjusted with the ignition vacuum advance disconnected and plugged.

Does your carb have a new float and inlet valve?

Offline TravisUT

• Garage guy
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2024, 06:01:54 AM »
Thanks @Kenth.

If the PCV valve should be attached while adjusting, where do I hook the vacuum gauge up to?

Yes, carb has all new parts.

Offline Kenth

• Jet Head
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2024, 10:24:29 AM »
I would use the port right above the fuel inlet for the vacuum gauge.

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2024, 04:29:09 AM »
"I just changed out the coil/cover, and did away with the hot air tubing."

You MUST block the vacuum supply to the choke housing to do an electric choke "conversion".  You will loose any idle bypass air if the carb was drilled for it. 

If you don't block the vacuum supply then you have an unfiltered vacuum leak plus you are drawing air into the housing to cools the electric choke coil......