Author Topic: Edelbrock RPM intake  (Read 11597 times)

Offline 73ss

• Carb lover
Edelbrock RPM intake
« on: December 14, 2010, 04:40:18 PM »
Has anyone out there had any experience with the edelbrock RPM Q-Jet intakes? Supposedly they are tailored to work with the q-jet. I scored one on e-bay for a BBC, Removed from a 502 crate motor. I guess this is the intake GM is installing on the 502 oval port crate motors. part #7164. It has a cut down divider. I brought this up after looking at Kelley555's thread & pics. I'm anxious to install after the holidays. I have an old-school weiand installed now that is good to 5500. The rpm is good to 6500. We'll see.

Offline Schurkey

• Carb lover
Re: Edelbrock RPM intake
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 09:05:01 PM »
Has anyone out there had any experience with the edelbrock RPM Q-Jet intakes? Supposedly they are tailored to work with the q-jet. I scored one on e-bay for a BBC, Removed from a 502 crate motor. I guess this is the intake GM is installing on the 502 oval port crate motors. part #7164. It has a cut down divider. I brought this up after looking at Kelley555's thread & pics. I'm anxious to install after the holidays. I have an old-school weiand installed now that is good to 5500. The rpm is good to 6500. We'll see.
Compare the carb mounting flange to a Q-Jet base gasket.  Mine is not the only one to need some rework to clear the secondary throttle blades.

Wish I could help more; I bought the same manifold you have, but I've never used a Q-jet with it--have a few seasons with that manifold on the previous engine; and using an 850 vacuum secondary Holley.  Replaced the engine last year, and next summer I'll be playing with a Q-jet.
Demand compensation from Communist China for the damage done by the Virus Originating in the Wuhan Lab, released (intentionally or negligently) into the world in 2019 (VOWL-19).  Trillions of dollars, plus direct compensation to individuals for medical bills, and "wrongful death" settlements.

Offline 73ss

• Carb lover
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 01:00:00 PM »
Thanks for the reply Schurkey. You saved me some frustration. I placed a carb on & sure enough the secondarys don't clear. Makes you wonder how a manifold made specificly for a q-jet won't even properly fit a q-jet. This manifold was removed from a crate motor. Installed but never fired. Maybe this is why.

Offline kelley555

• Garage guy
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 10:11:33 PM »
73 SS,this is about right for GM high quality,advertise it for a Q-jet & it won't fit. That kind of attitude the reason the 100 yr. old co. filed bankruptcy & Obama Motors began. Nothing can bring us down.That not the only mess up they had. Gm made the oem 400 block that were basically junk,had tons of problems with the blocks running hot,core shifts & steam holes,right. We shifted thru wrecking yards for years trying to find these blocks,fighting what the Gm engrineer's designed bad. Remember,the 2 bolt block's were the preminum junker,not the 4 bolt. Guess what,Gm had a 2 bolt block the Bow tie sportsman block same cast & thickness as the butt kickin,thick deck;thick bulkheads;Labeled HD on the block & casting # 184.Pretty close to the 4 bolt mains blocks,but cast with  2 bolt mains,excellent for a street build & a lot of cubes.You can go 427 ci ;4" stroke if your touche it with a die grinder.Try these cubes with the Oem block. Only Gm could advertise in their Chevy Performance manuel as a 4."00 bore(350 bore),so it didn't sell.Guess what,it's a misprint or somebody didn't had their head in their b-tt. The blocks will bore .060-.070 past the 400 bore of (4.125) & way thicker the the junk oem block. So you can have a 350 bore today & bore it to a 400 size tomorrow. They could have sold them all at a descent price. You want find this block in the wrecking yard. When Gm started to get in trouble,they sold all 600 plus blocks to a machine shop that scooped them up & resold them. What do you think the World & Dart block sbc  was designed after? Can we say !DUH!. GM employee's got too lazy to correct their many mistakes & be cause TOO BIG. !ATTITUDE & MORE ATTITUDE. I've been detailing my engine project in my Chevelle lately & has anyone noticed the quality of workmanship has definitely "gone to pot" in the hi performance industry.The quality of many accessories have to be redone or modified. I'm getting too picky in my later years. It's ashame of what's being offered as a finished product to the public. I feel like we're being invaded by the Chinese. Later Kelley
Kelley555

Offline kelley555

• Garage guy
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 10:26:32 PM »
I just had to add this ,I apologize. The Chinese companies want our business so they can profit. The days of doing quality work & standing behind a product are simply over. Anybody ever notice how willing & nice a company treats once they get your money in their hands. ! Yeah right !Later Kelley
Kelley555

Offline 73ss

• Carb lover
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 03:12:37 PM »
In this case I wouldn't think GM is to blame. It is an Edelbrock intake removed from a GM crate motor. I have wondered if it might be a Chinese knock off. There have been several sellers on e-bay advertising them as crate motor take-offs. Maybe I got took.  Schurkey, Did you get your's new in the box? Speaking of quality, The edelbrock performer carbs (Carter) are for the most part poorly made. I have worked on a few for different people. They seem to develop internal vacuum leaks, sloppy linkages' etc. Quite a few here in the Akron area with Summit racing 3 miles away!!

Offline kelley555

• Garage guy
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2010, 01:08:36 AM »
On the Gm crate motor's,if Gm is letting the 502 ci  get out the door with a questionable intake,I'd say Gm is the only one that has the power over Qc'ing  the  engines.I woudn't accept them plain & simple. All it would take is a few throttles stick to the floor &  business would pick up. Didn't Toyota get in hot water with all the accelerator problems? Does the intake have an Edelbrock made in the USA sticker on the front of the intake? I know that the Edelbrock's are suppose to be cast here,but I wouldn't doubt that a big volume deal with Gm made them go to some cheap. Now if Gm contracted some Chinese co. instead of Edelbrock to save a few bucks,that sounds like the same quality of many items,I personally had to modify recently cause their just not a 100% proto typed. Especially, like they use to be. Or maybe could it be Edelbrock didn't over see or subded the intakes out. Call Edelbrock technical dept. & see if they have a problem,they'll know I bet or whether the big E made it. I've never seen anything that came thru  Edelbrock's doors,get released with too many error's would hurt them & break them. Maybe Vic needs to rattle a few cages if this is so.Later Kelley
Kelley555

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2010, 05:06:31 AM »
In general terms the RPM dual planes are decent intakes.  In some applications they are taller than stock intakes, and cause hood clearance issues, problems with Shaker assemblies and some "Ram Air" set-ups.

I would also add that fitment of the Edelbrock intakes these days is hit and miss.....FULLY expect to get the grinder out for some set-ups!

Most applications do not need or benefit from an aftermarket intake manifold, despite what you may read in the magazines.  Same deal with carburetors, distributors, camshafts, etc.  Keep in mind that the aftermarket industry is here to serve us, and magazines must promote aftermarket parts, or it all goes away.  You will NEVER read once where a factory iron intake, or q-jet will outrun aftermarket parts everyplace, even though we have done this on many occassions, on the dyno and at the track testing parts.  Not a big deal to me, my mission in life is NOT to outrun shiney aftermarket parts, just to show folks that you can run as fast or faster with stock parts, if using them is among your goal(s) for the project.

For decades folks have been tossing out factory iron intakes and factory carburetors to install aftermarket aluminum intakes and carburetors, just to loose or make no more power than the factory parts.

Several years ago we tested 3 intakes back to back on the dyno on a pretty stout 428 Pontiac engine we built here in our shop.

The engine was topped with unported aftermarket aluminum heads flowing apprx 260cfm.  A 236/242/110 custom ground hydraulic roller cam was installed, compression ratio at 10.6 to 1.  We tested a factory 1971 Pontiac HO intake, stock aside from gasket matching and opening it up to two big holes/same size shape as the Edelbrock RPM intake.  My own iron intake, which is modified in the same manner, and a port matched Edelbrock RPM intake were also tested.

The HO intake made 487hp.

The RPM made 491HP.

My own iron intake made 497hp.

The RPM intake actually pulled peak power down by 200rpm's.  The 500hp engine just didn't want or need that much runner volume for the power level. (Make sure to read the last sentence again, this testing was done on a 500 HP engine, which also produced over 540ft lbs peak torque!!!)

Keep in mind that larger runners increase plenum volume and reduce port velocity.  If the engine is getting enough air with smaller runners, then larger runners do not always make more power.  They can also shift power curves, narrow up the power curve, and make less "average" power as well.

How many little tiny 350 engines do you see with HUGE intakes sitting on them, feeding factory iron heads and some sort of "high performance" aftermarket camshaft?

I'd bet my next pay check most of them made or make LESS power than the factory intake.

I also did some pretty extensive intake manifold and spacer testing a few years ago, at the dragstrip.  It took several outings, and at that time my car was powered by a 455 engine making about 500hp.

I tested several single plane intakes, Holley Street Dominator, Torquer I, and the Edelbrock Performer and Performer RPM, against my modified factory iron intake.

We also obtained and tested a newly released Tomahawk intake (single plane).

The testing was done over several weeks, and each intake was raced on at least one outing, and another one swapped on for as many runs as we could get in.  Then it was left in place, made another outing, and raced at least 3 runs, swapped in another one, left it on for another outing, etc.

It took some time and quite a few runs as I had to average numbers and take weather and track conditions into account.

When the smoke cleared and the dust settled, the quickest (ET) run from all intakes was made with the iron intake in place!

The only intake that ran faster in MPH was the newly release Tomahawk intake.  It was a solid 2mph faster on the top end of the track, but gave up so much starting line (.09 seconds) and mid-range power that it went slower in elapsed time.

When you read this, consider that this testing was done on a mid-11 second street car, that is deadly consistant at the track.

That testing was extended to spacers as well, 4 hole, fully open, semi-open and fully divided.  All on the iron intake.  The quickest runs were made with no spacer at all, fastest MPH with a semi-open spacer.

So much for intake and spacer testing, my engine still uses a "modified" factory intake, even though the new engine makes quite a bit more power than the old one.  I use the stock parts because they work, and the look you get from folks who wonder by in the staging lanes who gander at the q-jet sitting on the stock intake, then at the ET, then back at the carb/intake......PRICELESS!!!......Cliff

PS:  I attached a pic of the plenum mod to my factory intake...

Offline kelley555

• Garage guy
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2010, 11:57:47 AM »
Great view Cliff,looks like porting guy was really concerned about turbulence with such a small notch. Surely not like the rpm air gaps at all,it's a lot bigger notch. No notch on the reg.performer rpm,only 3 horse  & 7-8 lbs. of tq. according to several dyno articles. I'll check around & see if chevy put forth as good as effort as the 455 ci. A good place to know if a good intake available would be the Stocker or S/S car owners.I'm sure there's a certain model 455 you target that flows better.It's kinda the same with the Contender,a good manifold Weiand should have continued according to a tech I spoke with last week on a blower setup for the street.I mention this dual plain & he immediately new the intake. The name of the intakes are changing again at Weiand according to him.There's not a lot  you can do except when it comes to dual lane design. You can  trade to a higher hood for more clearance in tight situations. That's why I bought a raised ss hood. I'll have to due some special sheet metal work to seal the hood off.I didn't want the pins on the car so the cowl induction hood  went out the door. It be nice to get that fully surprized look when you run a q jet intake & a q jet. I went next door & the first thing out of the neighbor's mouth was about the rpm air gap & the "Quadrajunk". Why you sell the new holley? We'll see who's right.The older Holley intake is a joke to him also,the magazine didn't say the intakes awesome. It's high as hell & I don't think this motor is going  to care. I hope it clears with the adapter on the ss hood.It goes to show do a good job marketing can  Bs your way around.Later kelley
Kelley555

Offline 73ss

• Carb lover
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2010, 07:01:16 PM »
Kelley, No made in USA tag on this intake. There is not one that is pictured in the edelbrock catalog either. I'll call edelbrock & see whats up.
Cliff, I have noticed alot of the pontiac guys do run a stock intake. I have read elsewhere that the factory pontiac intake is hard to beat. The pontiac intake appears as if it is a "Air Gap" design. Something that edelbrock has capatalized on for the past few years now. Us BBC guys dont have that great of a intake selection for a oval port/Q-jet setup. The factory hi-po intakes were square port/holley design. My factory '73 intake is a very low profile/egr design. also weighs a ton. I believe chevy cast most of the later q-jet intakes low for hood clearence in the vette. the few hi-po q-jet intakes (396/350hp) are hard to find and $$$ for the collector crowd. I noticed the runners on this edelbock intake I have are a touch skinnier then the ones on The weiand action plus that I currently have installed. Anyhow, Thanks for the info..

Offline Schurkey

• Carb lover
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2010, 08:48:01 PM »
Schurkey, Did you get your's new in the box?
Several years ago, NITB from Summit.
Demand compensation from Communist China for the damage done by the Virus Originating in the Wuhan Lab, released (intentionally or negligently) into the world in 2019 (VOWL-19).  Trillions of dollars, plus direct compensation to individuals for medical bills, and "wrongful death" settlements.

Offline kelley555

• Garage guy
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2010, 05:56:23 AM »
I had a brand new Edelbrock Performer rpm Reg.I had mounted to my engine with the New Holley carb,not a Gm version,but it had a USA emblem,kinda look a flag red/white/blue. I then changed it when I made the decision to go Q-jet to the Holley Contender intake,kinda similar to the Z-28 with bigger ports.Hopefully to support the bigger engine. Holley could be falsely advertising their rpm range at i(dle -7200 rpm). I'll never be in the higher rpm range, afr & many suggest more intake than I have,even a single plane ,as they call it an intake hogg.If it's a junker,back to the Edelbrock air gap thats everbody is running. It's very tall & even with a SS/cowi induction hood,its very tall & wouldn't work in a close tolerance situation.Gets even taller with the sq. bore to q jet adapter. Maybe I'll come across something like Cliffs intake,it looks like severely modified with the x-over gone.Chevy probably didn't put too much research into the stock intakes like the 455's intake.Later Kelley
Kelley555

Offline kelley555

• Garage guy
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2010, 06:22:29 AM »
73SS,I found some better pics of the Edelbrock emblem I spoke of.Probably they didn't make this emblem requied (if) Gm subed the intake.Kelley
Kelley555

Offline 73ss

• Carb lover
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2010, 01:31:30 PM »
Thanks for the pics Kelley. This intake does not have the emblem. The emblem is not pictured in the catalog either for this intake.[url]http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/mc/manifolds/chevy/perf_rpm-bb.shtml.
I called edelbrock and of course they are not aware of any problems but would like me to send it to them for a look. I agree with you that chevy didn't seem to put in the effort that Pontiac did. Pontiac stuck with the q-jet on thier hi-po stuff & Chevy went the holley route. (LS6, Z-28, LT-1).  Thanks.

Offline kelley555

• Garage guy
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2010, 07:27:01 PM »
Did Edelbrock build the intake for GM? If they did,they're doing  just like other corporations ,ignoring the problem. They'll act stupid until an engine pops with the hanging carb,then they'll get real concerned. I'm enjoying the holidays with the kids & the dog,we're having a great time. Happy holidays to everyone on the forum & have a have a great holiday Cliff & your family. I know my son-in- law,daughter & 2 kids are going to have a very special Christmas,he's not deployed to Iraq for the first time in several years. We'll get to see the grand kids & daugjhter in Feb. during while he preparing for Afganistan. We as Americans take things so simple for granted,enjoy every special moment for we might be taken at any moment. God Bless,Kelley
Kelley555