Author Topic: Buying Parts and Kits  (Read 12199 times)

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
Buying Parts and Kits
« on: July 08, 2008, 09:07:08 AM »
If you just want advice and help, that's what This Forum is for! Find the right section and post your issues.

Fastest Service
If you know you need parts or our rebuild service it's best to fill out the Website Form here:
http://cliffshighperformance.dreamhosters.com/quote.html

Parts
You can also buy common parts directly on our Website:
http://cliffshighperformance.dreamhosters.com/parts.html

Kits
Kits need to be tailored to your needs, so we sell those as custom kits and to do that properly we need your info to put the right kit together.

Use the website form and describe  the situation with your Carburetor. Tell us which carb you have. What number? Tell us about your drivetrain, motor, and the condition of your Rochester Quadrajet. Is it rebuilt? Does it need a rebuild?  Just need a certain jet or spring?

You can use our website to help you identify the casting codes, year and version of your Quadrajet:

http://cliffshighperformance.dreamhosters.com/tech_articles.html

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
Re: Buying Parts and Kits
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 03:06:27 AM »
Just some notes on carburetor kits.

In recent years the quality of aftermarket kits has continued to decline.  Most of the companies that produced rebuild kits have either went out of business or been bought up by larger companies.  We noticed a change in the contents of the various aftermarket kits.  10 years ago, you could buy a NAPA kit for example, and still get OEM quality components in that kit, including the correct needle/seat assembly, complete accellerator pump, etc.  This no longer holds true today, as any kit purchased over the counter will be full of generic components.  Many kits still do NOT contain the correct accellerator pump, or even have an ethanol resistant flourostomer seal on it.  The life expectancy of the black seal can be as short as 30 minutes when exposed to currently available modern fuel "blends".

Over the counter kits are also very limited on parts, basically just supplying a few small parts, gaskets, pump or pump seal, and a needle/seat assembly. 

For these reasons, we started offering our high performance rebuild kits.  They contain many parts not found in any other kits, which we consider necessary for a successful carburetor rebuild.  We also include tuning parts, such as idle tubes and a power piston spring selection.

Here is a basic list of what is found in our kits.  Pretty much everything except for jets, metering rods, and the choke pull-off, which are available separately.

HP .135" needle/seat assembly.  We include the "windowed" seat, and will substitute any seat diameter from .125 to .149" per request.

HP accellerator pump assembly.  We include the later model pump with garter spring and flourostomer seal.  This keeps the seal in constant contact with the pump bore, and the seal will not swell or shrink in contact with modern fuels.

HD accellerator pump duration spring, and matching pump return spring.  These components are made to our exact specifications, for optimum fuel delivery from the accellerator pump assembly.  The pump retainer is also included.

Power piston springs.  We include 4 power piston springs, made to our specifications, they are color coded for easy identification, and will cover any engine cid/compression/camshaft combination(s).

Secondary plastic cam and spring.  Two items that should ALWAYS be replaced for any level of rebuild.

Secondary throttle shaft return spring.

Fuel filter spring.

Fuel filter.

Complete fastener set, including a 3/8"-16 set screw for the APT hole in later APT carburetors for easy external access to the adjustment screw.  We also include a #4-40 screw that can be added to the airhorn to make the airflap angle adjustable.

Gaskets.  We include high quality gaskets, including a 1/4" thick carb to intake gasket, and an airhorn to air cleaner base gasket.

Small parts, check ball, clips, filter housing gasket, seals, etc.

Vacuum hose for the choke pull-off.

Idle tubes.  They are .034" standard, we will pre-drill them to any size required upon request.

Float.  We include the correct float for the carburetor number.  These are the most modern version of the nitrophyl floats, which will provide the best fuel control for all applications.

We can add jets and metering rods to your order.  Currently, we have custom primary metering rods for the later APT carburetors only.  We are having primary rods made for the early carburetors, and custom secondary metering rods.  We should have samples in any day, and hope to be stocking them within a few weeks.

In addition to kits, we sell many other parts, including choke pull-offs that have been discontinued for some time.  We are stocking the Pontiac Ram Air pull-offs with two fittings, the 73-74 Pontiac pull-offs, and the recently discontinued 71-72 Pontiac/Caddillac/Buick pull-offs.

We also have the linkage from the pull-off to the secondary airflaps, and several fuel filter housings.

We sell some of the items listed above separately from our kits.  Orders for kits and small parts need to be taken over the phone.  If we don't answer, leave a good number and message, and we will call you back.....thanks.....Cliff

Offline comp

• Garage guy
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 08:19:53 AM »
what about striped filter threads

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 11:26:47 PM »
We are able to install heli-coils into the 1971 and older carburetors that used the 7/8"-20 threads.  The cost is $45 plus shipping.

We do not have a heli-coil tap or inserts for the later carburetors with the 1" threads......Cliff

Offline comp

• Garage guy
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 08:40:14 AM »
We are able to install heli-coils into the 1971 and older carburetors that used the 7/8"-20 threads.  The cost is $45 plus shipping.

We do not have a heli-coil tap or inserts for the later carburetors with the 1" threads......Cliff

so ,,,i have to think up my own fix ;D,,,, ;D

Offline jhughes76

• Garage guy
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 07:31:24 AM »
How much do you get for your rebuild kits for a 17057204--replacing the nitrophyl float with a brass float? Also, how much do you get for your choke pull-off for the same carb?  Thanks.

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 09:20:51 PM »
Most of our HP kits are $79.95.  The exceptions are a few of the later computer controlled units.  We include the latest design nitrophyl floats, zero problems with them.  So far ethanol or any modern fuel blends haven't caused any issues that we know of.

The brass floats are OK, but lack the bouyancy of the nitrophyl floats, and many end up leaking at the soldered joints/seams, and sink to the bottom of the fuel bowl.  If a brass float is used, we always submerg it in warm water and check for a stream of bubbles indicating a leak.

The choke pull-offs we use for the later carburetors have a straight fitting for easy access to the restriction.  This makes them easy to modify for opening rate.  They are $28.....Cliff

Offline jhughes76

• Garage guy
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 11:08:02 AM »
Do you have the linkage from the pull-off to the secondary air flaps for a 17059065? And if so, how much does it cost? I bought a carb off the internet, and realized when it got here that the linkage was missing, and did not know if it was cheap enough to replace, or if I should just look for another core. Thanks.

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2008, 12:32:32 PM »
Yes, we have both the early and late linkage new, they are $8 each.  That part number sounds like a service replacement carb, I would need a pic of it to get the correct part....thanks....Cliff

Offline jhughes76

• Garage guy
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2008, 10:20:18 AM »
Yes, we have both the early and late linkage new, they are $8 each.  That part number sounds like a service replacement carb, I would need a pic of it to get the correct part....thanks....Cliff

Here is a pic of the side that the seller used on eBay. I will try and get a better pic that zooms-in just on the choke/air flap assemblies. Most of the pics I see in your book, and on google image searches, show the tab on the air flap as slotted on later model carbs with a front pull-off. This carb just has a circle hole in the tab on the air flap connector, like I see on pics of early carbs and rear pull-off carbs, so I am wondering if someone has mixed and matched parts on this one.

Offline comp

• Garage guy
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2008, 02:49:26 PM »
that carb looks rough here

Offline jhughes76

• Garage guy
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2008, 05:01:32 PM »
that carb looks rough here

Up close, it is actually a decent core, if it is not pieced together as I now fear. The seller only halfway cleaned some pretty heavy grease off, so it looks splotchy in the picture. I am gonna try and take a better pic of the linkage/pull-off tomorrow.

Offline jhughes76

• Garage guy
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2008, 09:55:24 AM »
Here is a pic of the side that the seller used on eBay. I will try and get a better pic that zooms-in just on the choke/air flap assemblies. Most of the pics I see in your book, and on google image searches, show the tab on the air flap as slotted on later model carbs with a front pull-off. This carb just has a circle hole in the tab on the air flap connector, like I see on pics of early carbs and rear pull-off carbs, so I am wondering if someone has mixed and matched parts on this one.

Here is a better picture of the side that I took.

Offline comp

• Garage guy
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2008, 09:59:23 AM »
Here is a better picture of the side that I took.

that is a better pic,,,is the blueing from heat ??

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2008, 04:03:53 AM »
That model does not use a link from the primary pull-off to the secondary airflap.  It uses a secondary pull-off with two links, one to unload the choke, and one to the airflap linkage. 

I have the links in spare parts, used, removed from cores.  We always convert them to front pull-off by replacing the secondary airflap shaft and installing a stop for the airflaps.....Cliff

PS:  the carb has the wrong fuel filter housing installed on it...
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 04:14:42 AM by Cliff Ruggles »