Author Topic: so, ive driven the idle tubes too far  (Read 2184 times)

Offline phillipwatts

so, ive driven the idle tubes too far
« on: May 03, 2012, 05:40:28 PM »
ive driven the tubes too far down. i punched them thru with a .09 punch. i saw on from the top and never saw the other. the one i could see was laying crooked against the jet. then i tried taking a wire, turning the body upside down and wiggling the wire in an effort to dislodge. then i couldnt see it anymore. then i noticed, both were way down at the bottom. with only the tapered end exposed inside of the "cups" at the bottom of body. tried taking a thick, bent paperclip and tried to shove back upward. is it a lost cause, or is there a little trick im not aware of? i tried searching with no results. carb is 17056240

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
Re: so, ive driven the idle tubes too far
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 04:16:42 AM »
I've had several carbs sent here this year where folks drove the idle tubes down too deep and the small end could be seen thru the jet holes. 

I drilled out the front plug under them, and easily pushed them out of the casting by bending a pretty stiff spring wire to rod them out.  Installed screw in plugs when I was done, problem solved.....Cliff

Offline phillipwatts

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 05:13:15 AM »
yah, i was thinking i could get into it from the bottom some type of way. i was just worried about filling back in afterwards. thanks cliff!!

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 04:44:55 AM »
Install screw in plugs coated with Marine Tex, we repair them daily and never once had a set leak repaired using this method.  We sell a kit which includes a generous supply of Marine Tex and the screw in plugs.....Cliff