Author Topic: removing and replacing idle channel restritors/idle tubes  (Read 2747 times)

Offline magicrat56

• Garage guy
removing and replacing idle channel restritors/idle tubes
« on: May 09, 2012, 08:03:29 AM »
hi cliff,i would like to ask for the correct way of removing the brass cup-style restritors  8) and if you have replacments? i think at some point in conversations i understood that you have screw-in kits for this and for idle tubes also. that would make it so much easier for guys like myself who CANT leave things alone!!! actually my carb and your recipes and advice I've got up to 11.8 mpg around town from the 7 mpg from my 750dp. putting in my 3:08's this summer and expect to knock down REAL mileage this year. one last question, might give in and install an wide-band O2 sensor.given the fact,do you have to run dual sensors for a dual exhaust set-up?thanks in advance,joe.

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
Re: removing and replacing idle channel restritors/idle tubes
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 04:59:52 AM »
Nice improvement in fuel economy!

The restrictors in the casting are easily "spun out" with a drill armed with a drill bit that just catches the edge of them.  I think it's right at .111-.113". 

We have drive in and screw in restrictors for the idle down channel, and main airbleed locations.

A wide ban is a good investment, but really not needed if you know how to tune.  The best tuning tool is to make very small changes, then observe the results over several tankfuls of fuel.  In many cases, you will know quickly if you went in the wrong direction, but when you get really close, it may take a few miles to know if you've improved things or not?  At the end of the day what really matters is how the engine performs in all areas, and how much fuel you use for "normal" driving.  From what I've seen here, folks drive themselves knucking futs chasing the wide-ban 02 sensor around, instead of paying attention to how the engine works and how much fuel it uses....FWIW......Cliff

PS:  don't forget about distributor tuning in conjunction with carb tuning.  Leaner mixtures are difficult to burn, and do NOT always produce improved results or fuel economy.  It takes earlier ignition timing in many cases to effectively burn a leaner mixture.....

Offline magicrat56

• Garage guy
Re: removing and replacing idle channel restritors/idle tubes
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 03:28:44 AM »
thanks cliff,I'll be calling in my order soon.And your right on target with the a/f monitors, did chase my tail with one2 years ago,ended up use my vacuum gauge,timing light and patience and got it REAL close then tweaked it alittle. as far as my set-uo,gas mileage improvements came about with shortening up mech. advance adding 20*@ idle and 12* with ported vac.can. by the way,this engine runs nicer off idle this way. now I think i can fine tune my idle circut just a touch leaner, but I'm sure it will take most of the summer to do so with up coming gear swap. thank you for your time,call you next week. joe