Author Topic: Pontiac vacuum break and AT modulator  (Read 1983 times)

Offline Punks70GP

Pontiac vacuum break and AT modulator
« on: October 21, 2012, 11:17:37 AM »
I received my Ruggles custom tuned PN# 17080272 Q-jet and have a couple questions?  I believe the original carburetor that came on my vehicle (1970 Pontiac Grand Prix 400 4bbl automatic transmission) was PN# 7040264 which was long gone from the car when I purchase it.  .  The 70 service manual picture shows the primary choke pull-off having two ports one going to the port on the carburetor and the second port running to the delayed vacuum break "ball" mounted on the passenger fender.  The new carburetor only has the single port choke pull-off.  Do I need to use the delayed vacuum break and if so how should it be plumbed (tee between the carburetor port and the choke pull-off feeding the delayed vacuum break?).

I have a second question pertaining to the vacuum modulator to the transmission.  My car is equipped with a TH400 transmission.  Should I use direct manifold vacuum sourced at the carb base plate or the ported vacuum source on the main body of the carb to feed the modulator?

thanks!

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
Re: Pontiac vacuum break and AT modulator
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 09:42:04 AM »
The transmission modulator gets full manifold vacuum.

Not sure about the "delayed vacuum break" deal.  Most folks with 1970 Pontiac's do not use the second port from the pull-off, and many have switched to single port pull-offs....Cliff