Author Topic: Qjet building  (Read 12246 times)

Offline FORREST MILLER

• Garage guy
Qjet building
« on: September 12, 2008, 11:13:26 AM »
First Off I'd like to thank you for helping out all the DIY'ers out there  by doing the book. I've spent the last month reading, and rereading, and I think I'm understanding the concept Of the Qjet....what a great carb.  Once again thank you ;D

I'm doing a carb for my corvette, and as suggested in the book I went and measured everything and this is what I found:

Idle tube.................................  .031"
Idle down channel ................... .057"
Upper idle air bleed.................. .070"
Lower Idle air bleed................. .078"
Idle bypass air......................... .069"
Mixture screw holes................  .096" (I  Did this)
Holes in throttle plates...........   None
Main air bleeds ......................  .125"
Secondary POE ...................... .055"
Secondary tube restriction...... .025"
Accelerator pump squirters....  .078"

The only thing that alarms me here  the size of the Accelerator pump Squirters. They dont look like they have been drilled out, but this carb has been rebuilt by one of the commercial rebuilders at one point in time. Are they too big?

I plan on redoing the carb according to "Recipe#2" Using 77 main jets and 50 rods.   Will I have any problems with those large squirters?   And do you see any problems using "recipe 2" with my engine combo?

SBC   406
vortec heads
performer intake
10:1 compression
comp hyd roller cam xr276hr
Intake    224@50  .535 lift/w 1.6 roller rockers
Exhaust 230@50  .544 lift/w 1.6 roller rockers
15/8" headers  21/2" exhaust/ mufflers
TKO 600 5-speed  3.36 rear gears

Thanks once again, and I'm really looking forward to doing some tuning!!!

Forrest Miller

Offline comp

• Garage guy
Re: Qjet building
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 10:38:51 PM »
which Vortec's ??? thats seem's like a little high on the lift

Offline FORREST MILLER

• Garage guy
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 12:44:11 PM »
These are reworked 062 castings, 1.43" springs, cut down valve guides ( good to .550" lift), blended exhaust and intake bowls. I used to have them on my stockcar ;)

Offline comp

• Garage guy
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 12:57:49 PM »
These are reworked 062 castings, 1.43" springs, cut down valve guides ( good to .550" lift), blended exhaust and intake bowls. I used to have them on my stockcar ;)

OK, isn't that close if you bounce a valve ??? i ask because i want to build a engine with Vortec's

Offline FORREST MILLER

• Garage guy
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 04:18:40 PM »
Well,................. the whole Idea is to have your valvetrain under control at all times. When you start floating valves then you wind up breaking Parts ( pushrods, rockers, pistons ).  I spun my engine to 7500 RPM using Comp 987 valvesprings, and never once had any problems, and that was with .534"lift.  I still had lots of room left before metal to metal contact because of the valve seals I was using,( good to .550" lift with the seals in place).

Use good springs for your application, keep things under control, and you shouldn't have any trouble ;D

Offline mikes74sd

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 05:25:23 PM »
let mr cliff do the carb;but go to a performer rpm air gap intake-this intake is the real deal;and change to 1.75 headers and have fun

Offline Jeff Walker

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 07:27:10 PM »
Take a penlight and shine in to the the accelerator pump discharge hole.  About 1/8 inch down into the hole you will a smaller hole that will be somewhere in the .025-.028 range.

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2008, 08:31:04 PM »
What is the carburetor number?

The large main airbleeds are more of a problem than anything else.  It is difficult to get a good fuel curve with those carbs.  When we build them here in the shop, the main airbleeds sizes are reduced, and smaller main jets are used......Cliff

Offline FORREST MILLER

• Garage guy
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 08:46:49 AM »
The carb number is 17080207

Offline FORREST MILLER

• Garage guy
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 08:55:11 AM »
Mike74,

this engine is being built fo torque........will never see past 5500  RPM.  Changing those two components will defeat my goal..........Torque monster :o

Offline FORREST MILLER

• Garage guy
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2008, 09:35:16 AM »
I stand corrected.......Thanks to JeffWalker I was able to find the correct holes for the squirters and measured the best I could ( I'm missing a few drill bits) and determined its about .026"

Offline FORREST MILLER

• Garage guy
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2008, 12:15:33 PM »
So Cliff,

How about my carb ( 17080207), with the main airbleeds reduced to .070", setup to Recipe 2,with my engine combo......will that work OK?

Thanks, Forrest Miller

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2008, 04:49:54 AM »
Recipe #2 should be really close.  We have custom screw in airbleeds and a jet/rod package for those carburetors, takes the hassle out of trying to reduce the airbleed diameters and coming up with the best jet/rod combinations........Cliff

Offline comp

• Garage guy
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2008, 05:37:49 AM »
Recipe #2 should be really close.  We have custom screw in airbleeds and a jet/rod package for those carburetors, takes the hassle out of trying to reduce the airbleed diameters and coming up with the best jet/rod combinations........Cliff

are these parts in your book ?

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2008, 12:39:03 AM »
No, we sell them separately from our kits.  We did not put ourselves down as a parts supplier in the book.  The demand has been great enough since the book came out that we have stepped up and had a lot of parts manufactured, and started putting custom rebuild kits together, etc......Cliff