Author Topic: AT / MT Differences ?  (Read 4068 times)

Offline PMD1969

• Carb lover
AT / MT Differences ?
« on: February 22, 2013, 04:57:44 PM »
I have a manual transmission car and have an opportunity to pick up a carb that is correct for an automatic.  What are the differences in the two carbs and can the automatic carb be changed over to run a manual car?

Thanks

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
Re: AT / MT Differences ?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 06:13:58 PM »
I have a manual transmission car and have an opportunity to pick up a carb that is correct for an automatic.  What are the differences in the two carbs and can the automatic carb be changed over to run a manual car?

Thanks

Shouldn't be too many differences. Maybe some linkage differences, but nothing major.
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)

Offline PMD1969

• Carb lover
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 07:40:23 AM »
Shouldn't be too many differences. Maybe some linkage differences, but nothing major.

Hmm?  The carb that I am looking at is for the same motor that I have but it is specified for an automatic (mine is a manual).  If the carbs have the same internals that's good.  As for the linkage I guess I could transfer the linkage from one to the other.  I am wanting to use the auto carb for a spare.

Would the internals be the same?

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 11:07:10 AM »
Hmm?  The carb that I am looking at is for the same motor that I have but it is specified for an automatic (mine is a manual).  If the carbs have the same internals that's good.  As for the linkage I guess I could transfer the linkage from one to the other.  I am wanting to use the auto carb for a spare.

Would the internals be the same?

What carburetor numbers are we talking about here? I can look them up and see what they had stock on the internals.
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)

Offline PMD1969

• Carb lover
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 07:57:07 AM »
What carburetor numbers are we talking about here? I can look them up and see what they had stock on the internals.

Mine is # 7029261

The one I am looking at is # 7028260

Thanks for the help.

Marc

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 09:51:12 AM »
Mine is # 7029261

The one I am looking at is # 7028260

Thanks for the help.

Marc

7029261 came with .069 Primary Jets, Primary Metering Rods 40, Secondary Hanger K, and Secondary Metering Rods BL.

7028260 came with .070 Primary Jets, Primary Metering Rods 42, Secondary Hanger K, and Secondary Metering Rods BF.

Slight differences. Not sure how significant the difference is between the Seconday Metering Rods though. Shouldn't be that much different. ;)
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)

Offline PMD1969

• Carb lover
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 11:09:52 AM »
7029261 came with .069 Primary Jets, Primary Metering Rods 40, Secondary Hanger K, and Secondary Metering Rods BL.

7028260 came with .070 Primary Jets, Primary Metering Rods 42, Secondary Hanger K, and Secondary Metering Rods BF.

Slight differences. Not sure how significant the difference is between the Seconday Metering Rods though. Shouldn't be that much different. ;)

Ethan thanks!  Just to make the carbs exactly the same I wonder where I could find the parts to do so?

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 01:23:56 PM »
 Good question. The hanger and jets Cliff would have, but don't know about the primary/secondary metering rods. You may try to contact Cliff and see if he does have some. Sorry that I cannot be much of help. :(
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)