Author Topic: seized mixture screw  (Read 2808 times)

Offline Marx3

• Jet Head
seized mixture screw
« on: July 13, 2009, 07:20:39 AM »
Hi, I am about to rebuild a marine 17080561, the owner has bought a Holley marine instead, but the other engine ( two 350's ) still has a Qjet. So I thought he would be better off with having the original Qjet in place back with the other.
But a mixture screw is seized in the basplate, are there any tricks to get it out, other than heat/ cooling etc.? I mean, should I just forget about getting it out??? I haven't seen the carb yet ( will get a closer look at it tommorow ), so I don't know hov far in the rest of the screws is sitting.  ( sorry if the trick is in the book, I have read most of it, but can't recall a particular chapter that adresses this sort of problem. )

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
Re: seized mixture screw
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 05:51:38 AM »
We use a product here called Kroil, it will loosen up just about anything that is rusted in place.

A few seconds with a propane torch on the baseplate will speed up the process, it's pretty rare when I can't get one to loosen up.....Cliff

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 05:53:02 AM »
PS:  we sell complete HP kits for Marine carburetors, with upgraded components, ethanol compatable, and dozens on parts not found in over the counter kits.....

Offline Marx3

• Jet Head
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 11:33:09 AM »
Okay, I suppose it is some kind of liquid?

I sure hope I can get it out, a holley is installed as a substitute. ( Qjet on the one engine, a holley on the other ) Both Qjets needs rebuilding later on!

Thanks!