Author Topic: Original Quadrajet Question?  (Read 2382 times)

Offline carmutt

Original Quadrajet Question?
« on: October 29, 2013, 09:02:58 PM »
Based on the below information, I would expect the carb on my 1968 Firebird 400 4-speed car (built Nov 7, 1967) to have the round pressed tag. But every 7028265 carb I have seen does not have the round pressed tag and has the part number on the body and the date code on the base plate. Does this mean that every one I have seen are service dated replacements and not originals? Someone selling me a carb stated that while the carbs where made in 1967, they were for the 1968 model year car, so original carbs should have the number on the body without a round pressed tag as they are referred to as 1968 carbs.

So, does anyone have any insight on what is correct? Anyone have a 1968 Firebird made in 1967 with an original carb on it? If so, what is yours like?

Here are excepts from the link below on Rochester Quadrajets:

The part number was stamped on a round tag pressed into the driver’s side of the bowl (center section) of all original 1965–1967 quadrajets, as well as some very early production original 1968 quadrajets. The part number will be stamped vertically on the driver’s side of the bowl (center section) in the area of the secondary on later production original 1968 quadrajets; all 1969 - 1974 quadrajets; and service dated replacement 1965 – 1967 quadrajets. The date code may be in a number of areas. Those carburetors that were originally tagged (see above paragraph) will have a 2-character date code stamped into the tag. Most 1968 and some very early production 1969 original carburetors will have a 4-digit date code stamped on the drivers' side of the throttle body (lower casting) just to the front of the rear mounting hole

http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Roc...etmarkings.htm

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
Re: Original Quadrajet Question?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 06:44:57 PM »
Based on the below information, I would expect the carb on my 1968 Firebird 400 4-speed car (built Nov 7, 1967) to have the round pressed tag. But every 7028265 carb I have seen does not have the round pressed tag and has the part number on the body and the date code on the base plate. Does this mean that every one I have seen are service dated replacements and not originals? Someone selling me a carb stated that while the carbs where made in 1967, they were for the 1968 model year car, so original carbs should have the number on the body without a round pressed tag as they are referred to as 1968 carbs.

So, does anyone have any insight on what is correct? Anyone have a 1968 Firebird made in 1967 with an original carb on it? If so, what is yours like?

Here are excepts from the link below on Rochester Quadrajets:

The part number was stamped on a round tag pressed into the driver’s side of the bowl (center section) of all original 1965–1967 quadrajets, as well as some very early production original 1968 quadrajets. The part number will be stamped vertically on the driver’s side of the bowl (center section) in the area of the secondary on later production original 1968 quadrajets; all 1969 - 1974 quadrajets; and service dated replacement 1965 – 1967 quadrajets. The date code may be in a number of areas. Those carburetors that were originally tagged (see above paragraph) will have a 2-character date code stamped into the tag. Most 1968 and some very early production 1969 original carburetors will have a 4-digit date code stamped on the drivers' side of the throttle body (lower casting) just to the front of the rear mounting hole

http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Roc...etmarkings.htm

In or around 1968, they started stamping the part number and date on the machined area, of the float bowl. What are the date codes you see on those carbs? Usually, Service Replacement carbs have a 4-digit Julian date code. At least the ones I have seen.
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)