Author Topic: 7042202 versus 17054927  (Read 4720 times)

Offline No51

7042202 versus 17054927
« on: February 26, 2014, 05:27:38 AM »
Hi Guys,

I have a 72 Corvette (base 350 A?T) that had a 1705922 on it when I bought it. After buying Cliffs book and with a bit of searching I worked out the car should have a 7042202 on it.
Because the fuel system (tank) was full of rust I decided ti replace it and the carby. I bought a 17054927 off EPray as it was described by the seller as correct for a 72 Corvette. I'm not unhappy as the carby appeared to be NOS. Or at least remanufactured.
Is the carb I bought in fact the correct though "replacement" carby as would have been sold by GM back in the 70's -80's ?
And if it's correct is the carb actually a "copy" of the 1972 carby or an "updated" version with differences - casting's etc?

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
Re: 7042202 versus 17054927
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 10:13:22 AM »
Hi Guys,

I have a 72 Corvette (base 350 A?T) that had a 1705922 on it when I bought it. After buying Cliffs book and with a bit of searching I worked out the car should have a 7042202 on it.
Because the fuel system (tank) was full of rust I decided ti replace it and the carby. I bought a 17054927 off EPray as it was described by the seller as correct for a 72 Corvette. I'm not unhappy as the carby appeared to be NOS. Or at least remanufactured.
Is the carb I bought in fact the correct though "replacement" carby as would have been sold by GM back in the 70's -80's ?
And if it's correct is the carb actually a "copy" of the 1972 carby or an "updated" version with differences - casting's etc?

Welcome to CHP!

You would be correct. Carb 17054927 is a Service Replacement carb for carb number 7042202. Probably not a good carb to put on your '72 Corvette.
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)

Offline No51

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 05:03:40 PM »
Thanks for the reply Brian. New to the site (and Rochesters) and any and all help greatly appreciated. My thoughts were to rebuild the one that was on the car as I bought it - the  1705922 as "practice" and to get familiar with these carbs.

But if I'm going to rebuild one maybe I should look for a 7042202 core to start with ?

I already installed the replacement carb and it seems to work fine. Very slight off idle stumble. Why would I not use the 17054927 if GM used it as a replacement ? (Anything other than originality ?)

Car as a one owner out of Texas. Apart from the carb and the ignition coil it appears to be numbers matching. But at the end of the day, it's only a base model (although fully optioned up, leather interior PW's etc) so, not an LT1 or anything special.  (Well, yes, it IS special to me)

By the way, I'm in Brisbane Australia.

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 05:33:05 PM »
Thanks for the reply Brian. New to the site (and Rochesters) and any and all help greatly appreciated. My thoughts were to rebuild the one that was on the car as I bought it - the  1705922 as "practice" and to get familiar with these carbs.

But if I'm going to rebuild one maybe I should look for a 7042202 core to start with ?

I already installed the replacement carb and it seems to work fine. Very slight off idle stumble. Why would I not use the 17054927 if GM used it as a replacement ? (Anything other than originality ?)

Car as a one owner out of Texas. Apart from the carb and the ignition coil it appears to be numbers matching. But at the end of the day, it's only a base model (although fully optioned up, leather interior PW's etc) so, not an LT1 or anything special.  (Well, yes, it IS special to me)

By the way, I'm in Brisbane Australia.

Actually, name is Ethan. Not Brian. Carb number 1705922 is not a valid carb number. Service Replacement carbs are no good because of there inferior internal parts.  Are you looking for originality? Or something that works well for it to run to your satisfaction?
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)

Offline No51

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 06:36:29 PM »
Very sorry about that Ethan don't know why I called you Brian. I'm old, what can I say.

Carby no should have been 17059222.

I'm really a motorcycle man and our carby's are very simple devices. Not much better than surface vaporizers to be truthful.

I bought the replacement as a "correct for 1972 350 Corvettes" before I had any idea of what I was really buying. All I knew was the fuel system had a fair amount of rust in it and after installing a new tank I didn't want to have to rebuild the carby before driving the beast. It was barely running.

I'm undecided yet as to keeping the car as original as possible and hving something with a bit more power. Truth is, I'm considering swapping in a crate motor as it's a lot cheaper than rebuilding the original.

But I am impressed with the Quadrajet as a carby. So much more sophisticated than a Super B (S&S). As I said the carb I bought as a replacement works reasonably well out of the box. I presume I could tweak it and get it just right.

Part of what I'm doing is just "tinkering". I build my own motorcycle race engines and just like playing with this stuff. If I did decide to swap out the engine I would keep the original engine to stay with the car. Someone down the track might just prefer an all numbers matching car.

I've seen a couple of 7042202 cores but they're asking upwards of $200 for them. I wouldn't have thought they were worth that considering there are so many equivalents around for under $50.

But I supposew if I'm going to spend time and money on one it should ne correct for my car.

The Corvette won't see high milage so would the inferior interior parts prove to be much of a problem in the short run ?

Also, Cliff says in the book that "the later carbs, post 1976 are actually better". So I thought the 17059222 would be a better bet ?

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 07:33:32 PM »
Very sorry about that Ethan don't know why I called you Brian. I'm old, what can I say.

Carby no should have been 17059222.

I'm really a motorcycle man and our carby's are very simple devices. Not much better than surface vaporizers to be truthful.

I bought the replacement as a "correct for 1972 350 Corvettes" before I had any idea of what I was really buying. All I knew was the fuel system had a fair amount of rust in it and after installing a new tank I didn't want to have to rebuild the carby before driving the beast. It was barely running.

I'm undecided yet as to keeping the car as original as possible and hving something with a bit more power. Truth is, I'm considering swapping in a crate motor as it's a lot cheaper than rebuilding the original.

But I am impressed with the Quadrajet as a carby. So much more sophisticated than a Super B (S&S). As I said the carb I bought as a replacement works reasonably well out of the box. I presume I could tweak it and get it just right.

Part of what I'm doing is just "tinkering". I build my own motorcycle race engines and just like playing with this stuff. If I did decide to swap out the engine I would keep the original engine to stay with the car. Someone down the track might just prefer an all numbers matching car.

I've seen a couple of 7042202 cores but they're asking upwards of $200 for them. I wouldn't have thought they were worth that considering there are so many equivalents around for under $50.

But I supposew if I'm going to spend time and money on one it should ne correct for my car.

The Corvette won't see high milage so would the inferior interior parts prove to be much of a problem in the short run ?

Also, Cliff says in the book that "the later carbs, post 1976 are actually better". So I thought the 17059222 would be a better bet ?

It's alright. I have been called worse. ;D

I would go with the 17059222. It will probably take some modifications. Cliff will know more on that.
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)