Author Topic: Hello! Newbie from Calgary (Alberta, Canada)  (Read 2138 times)

Offline unruhjonny

• Carb lover
Hello! Newbie from Calgary (Alberta, Canada)
« on: March 06, 2014, 12:53:55 PM »
Hello!

After coming across Cliff's site a short while back, I signed up today to make a couple queries.

I am a Pontiac/Musclecar fan, but love the diversity, and (often) simplicity in automobiles from days long since past.

I was given a (project) 1970 Firebird Formula 400/4speed car in 1995 from my dad, step-mom, and step-grandmother.
Since the car was purchased needing alot of work, one of the first things I tackled was drivetrain work ~ and being on a limited budget I taught myself to service the smog era Chevy carb that was pertched atop my intake manifold...

Over the next couple years I became rather proficient at 'tinkering' on 1967 & later Rochester carbs, and had several people come to me for the quickie clean up & rebuild (which would generally go towards my Firebird's next tune up, or food)...

I started really looking for a 'correct' carburetor for my car at a time when period musclecar carburetors (especially manual transmission versions) were seeming to be reaching towards the stratosphere - so when I finally found my first pre-smog Pontiac carb (a '71 Pontiac 400/auto carb), I thought I had it made in the shade;
Long story short, it had a warped top plate, and the top plate was unfixable - but it set me on a slippery slope of procuring (mostly Pontiac) 702/704 carburetor cores...

I currently have a small collection of carbs, and hope to use info that I get from here, as well as some other forums to slowly sell off my carbs, to afford focusing on finishing my Firebird up, and having a minimal number of "spare" parts.

That's about it.

:D

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
Re: Hello! Newbie from Calgary (Alberta, Canada)
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 02:34:39 PM »
 Welcome to CHP!

Any photos of the Pontiac? I love Pontiac's as well. Was originally going to buy a '67 GTO, but decided on my '72 Chevelle. ;)
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)

Offline unruhjonny

• Carb lover
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 11:52:32 AM »
Welcome to CHP!

Any photos of the Pontiac? I love Pontiac's as well. Was originally going to buy a '67 GTO, but decided on my '72 Chevelle. ;)

Thanks for the query - and sure!

Right now it's in sorry shape;
I purchased it out of rural Manitoba in 1995;
They have been salting there since Moses' day;
I fixed it up and my brother painted it in 2001, then in April 2002 I got in an accident with it (it served as my daily driver for the majority of 1996-2002);
When getting it back roadworthy, I came to the conclusion that I needed to stop driving it otherwise it would go too far to be repaired...

Pre accident:

Post accident:

(Honest to goodness, I used a chain, and a light pole to pull out the bumper;
I drove up to a light pole, chained it, put it in reverse, and dropped the clutch - just log/hard enough to jerk it;
before my light-pole fix, I couldn't get hte hood open.)

The weekend after my insurance adjuster was done with me, I pulled it apart, and swapped in replacement (some temporary) parts to get it once again driveable & complete.
I have since stockpiled pretty much everything I need to complete it including full (used) rear quarters;
And all the small bits which are unique & impossible to find;
This is a Muncie 3 speed car, and will be going back to that configuration (not yet sure if I'll be keeping it that way or not; bought with a non-matching '70 Firebird RAIII/auto engine & 1972 Firebird M22);
I have a full correct L78; carb to oil pan awaiting install, as well as a second spare block c/w #13 heads to build for PSMCD (would prefer #12, but can't find them at my price point);
The hardest parts to find were the 100% correct exhaust manifolds;
I may build it as a RAIII car for PSMCD (as any modely year correct configuration is permitted) - I'm just not sure yet...

As another tidbit as to why I'm here;
I like puzzles;
In my collection of stuff carburetors have been the most curious part of the puzzle simply because of the diverity in "correct" parts ~ now the re-numbering of carbs has made the game that much tougher for me, because not only am I trying to deduce what's the 100% correct stuff, but I now have to figure out how to properly identify the correct stuff from the knock offs.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 11:58:37 AM by unruhjonny »

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 01:53:13 PM »
 Nice! Though the photos after the wreck make me cringe! God bless you for bringing it back to life. :)
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)