Author Topic: Question about odd statement in Cliff's book.  (Read 2764 times)

Offline Frank400

• Jet Head
Question about odd statement in Cliff's book.
« on: April 09, 2014, 02:30:37 PM »
I've read Cliff's book from cover to cover many times, and it's still my favorite book.  I love the quadrajet and can't stop trying to learn as much as I can on it.  On page 20, at the bottom, there is a dyno sheet with a comparison between two carburetors.  Please guys go read that and get back to me. Do I understand that a carefully carefully calibrated '76 APT quadrajet (supposedly the best ones) was outran by a carefully calibrated 1970 quadrajet, and that by a very significant margin ? 

Offline ejowrench

• Garage guy
Re: Question about odd statement in Cliff's book.
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 03:41:00 PM »
Good question. Not enough info there to tell. My guess is the cam favored the smaller carb.

I am sure Cliff will chime in and give us some answers, now you got me interested!

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 05:22:29 PM »
 I am curious as well.
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)

Offline 429bbf

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 08:35:02 PM »
frank i don't think your reading it right . the way i read it it says the dyno sheet on the right had the 850 carb which made 16.6 more hp. the one on the left had the 750.maybe I'm wrong . fwiw

Offline Frank400

• Jet Head
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2014, 03:37:28 AM »
you're right !  I read it again.  Right under the chart, the text is wrong, but on the right page (page 21), it mentions the bigger carb produces more power.  Now it all makes sense !

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2014, 06:37:31 AM »
frank i don't think your reading it right . the way i read it it says the dyno sheet on the right had the 850 carb which made 16.6 more hp. the one on the left had the 750.maybe I'm wrong . fwiw

Glad you caught that!
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)

Offline 429bbf

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2014, 10:05:37 AM »
its funny how we are such creatures of habit (at work in order to get a pay raise we have a bunch of mechanical tests you have to pass)one of the tests you have to torque a head to the proper torque and the proper sequence. you have to do it three times . were most people fail is they don't read the whole thing.the first 2 are identical the third time you start with a different bolt. you can't believe how many people fail.fwiw