Author Topic: marine quad  (Read 3058 times)

Offline centurychris

• Garage guy
marine quad
« on: May 16, 2014, 07:41:36 PM »
Hello, im brand new on here and am looking and hoping to find the info I seek! A little background on me...newbie workin on carbs but have been a machinist for over 20 yrs. Here is my project.... What I am looking for is to rebuild my carb. I have two quads that are the same casting. One came off of my boat, and one is a spare. I want to use the body and the horn of the spare, due to the fact that they are in way better shape. Now im well aware of the safty issues involving the differences between marine and auto carbs. But I know for a fact that places like National Carburetor for example, are selling re-furbished carbs that were once automobile carbs, but have been modified, and they are selling them as marine carbs. The carb that came off of my boat was one...when I looked up the numbers it showed up as a carb that was used on gmc trucks. Point being, if they can do it, I can do it. I am more interested in the internal alterations that im noticing when I place my two bodies side by side. Im noticing certain ports and holes have been plugged or dev-conned on the boat carb that are open on the auto carb. Was this done on purpose to make this a marine carb?? And if so, for what reason? And should I replicate these alterations on the new body? Basically...I don't want the easy way out, I want to learn how and why. There are also brass bleed-off inserts on the marine body.

Offline centurychris

• Garage guy
Re: marine quad
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 04:04:28 PM »
nobody on here knows anything about marine quadrajets?

Offline centurychris

• Garage guy
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 09:28:56 PM »
well it seems id have better luck locating jimmy Hoffa then finding out info on marine quadrajets :'(

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 01:56:59 AM »
Marine units are quite different than automotive carburetors in many ways.

The units that are being sold as "conversions" are piss-poorly calibrated from what I've seen here, at least in comparison to a real Marine unit.

Marine carburetors have no idle bypass air, and very tiny idle and main airbleeds, and all use the early design hinge pin and large float.

Cannibalizing an automotive or truck carburetor doesn't always end up with a good end result, unless you really know your way around these things.....IMHO.....Cliff

Offline novadude

• Carb lover
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 10:10:15 AM »
Marine units are quite different than automotive carburetors in many ways.

The units that are being sold as "conversions" are piss-poorly calibrated from what I've seen here, at least in comparison to a real Marine unit.

Marine carburetors have no idle bypass air, and very tiny idle and main airbleeds, and all use the early design hinge pin and large float.

Cannibalizing an automotive or truck carburetor doesn't always end up with a good end result, unless you really know your way around these things.....IMHO.....Cliff

Why are the marine carbs set-up with small main air bleeds and idle air bleeds?  I've noticed some Q-jet guys seem to prefer to set-up automotive Q-jets in a similar manner.  It seems like a lot of the early Automotive carbs were set-up that way as well.  Is there some inherent advantage to using small air bleeds and sizing the idle tubes, IDCR, jets, and rods to match?

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 03:54:43 AM »
A Marine engine spends it's entire life heavily loaded, and no emission standards for them.

This requires a much different fuel curve than an automotive engine that runs at constantly different speed/load, etc....Cliff

Offline centurychris

• Garage guy
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 07:04:15 PM »
cliff...does your book have the info I need to set up my marine q-jet? If not, could you please give me some guidelines to get me on the right path? Its for a 260 mercruiser....aka..a 350

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2014, 09:45:40 AM »
To build a Marine carb using an automotive carburetor you need to copy the calibration in every detail.

What to copy in terms of idle tube size, main airbleeds, idle airbleeds, bypass air, etc are all well outlined in my book....Cliff