Author Topic: Which epoxy to use?  (Read 4890 times)

Offline Z28 Eric

Which epoxy to use?
« on: September 25, 2008, 07:09:26 AM »
First off, thanks for writing the book Cliff. I own a copy & I've been stepping through your recipes. My 383 stroker has come alive - talk about throttle response! The best part is, I now understand what is going on inside that pile of pot metal called a qjet.

I epoxyed my qjets bottom plugs using some 1 hour epoxy & after less than 100 miles, it's already pealing off. I have a '76 qjet, so I'm not really worried about leakage. I just want the added insurance for peace of mind.

I noticed that Cliff's pics in his book showed some different varieties of epoxy. I'm curious what type of epoxy this is & where to get it?

Thanks!

Offline Jeff Walker

Re: Which epoxy to use?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 07:58:01 AM »
I use Marine-Tex, they gray kind.  If you Google it you can find several sources for it.  This was the epoxy that Cliff recommended to me to use.

Offline Z28 Eric

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 08:34:35 AM »
Thanks Jeff.

Offline comp

• Garage guy
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 02:13:08 PM »
Thanks Jeff.

where did you find it ??

Offline Z28 Eric

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 05:09:24 AM »
It looks like boating places tend to sell it. I googled "marine tex epoxy" and found a few places that have it listed.

Offline comp

• Garage guy
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 08:07:19 AM »
It looks like boating places tend to sell it. I googled "marine tex epoxy" and found a few places that have it listed.

thanks ,, i will call around

Offline FORREST MILLER

• Garage guy
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 09:51:14 PM »
Another product that is used in aviation that will work is something called "PRC". There are several different blends, each with there own use. The Fuel type PRC is whats used to seal gas tanks on small aircraft all the way up to the big jets. I havn't used it but I'm sure it will work excellent. It should be available at any of the larger aviation supply warehouses.