Author Topic: Please help me identify carb 17084285  (Read 2911 times)

Offline Canhos

Please help me identify carb 17084285
« on: October 03, 2009, 11:20:24 PM »
Hi Guys.

I'm new, and trying to get my "rebuilt" Qjet to work properly.

The car is failing emmisions testing, and I think it's all in the carb. I had a commercially rebuilt one installed just over a year ago, and ever since then, it's been failing the tests.

The Carb is marked 17084285. From decoding it, I know it's a Rochester (170), from 1984 (84), 49 state legal (2), mystery designation (8), Auto transmission (5).

What does the second last digit (the 8) mean.

Here is some info on the application and what I know so far about the carb itelf.

The car is an 81 Formula with a 305, Auto trans. The only "mod" is I removed the cat, and had true dual exhaust installed. The engine seemed to be reading lean on idle when I had it tested, so I removed the airhorn, and found the secondary emullsion tube had fallen out. I reset it, and other than that everything inside the carb looked ok, but this was the first time I've had one even part way apart. I richened the idle circuit up a bit, and was able to drop the throttle stop a touch to maintain an idle of 850 or so reading it from the tach in the car. When I tested it again, it passed the idle test, but failed with high nox on the running test ( 40km/ hour for 90 seconds).

I didn't get the jet #'s, but the primary rods are stamped 43k, and the secondary are stamped CH. The carb has an electric choke, and the engine has no apparent vacuum leaks.

Is there something glaringly wrong with this carb, and what is my long term fix for this? I'm going to be taking it to my mechanic and they will be able to get the car a conditional pass, but I would like to be able to fix the carb up right, as this "rebuilt" unit just doesn't seem to cut the mustard as it sits right now.

I'm not looking for performance out of it, the car's the wife's, and is used as a daily driver. She tools around town with it, going about her business.

Any insite or tips are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Mike Gyger
Chilliwack. BC.

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
Re: Please help me identify carb 17084285
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 05:01:19 AM »
Mike, do you have one of our books?  It has a section covering carburetor identification, and specific comments about "commercially remanufactured" carburetors......Cliff