Author Topic: Down channel restriction  (Read 4937 times)

Offline FORREST MILLER

• Garage guy
Down channel restriction
« on: October 06, 2009, 05:14:53 PM »
The Down Channel Restriction ???

I'd like to clarify my understanding of this part.....if you could help me ;D
  My understanding is it regulates the vacuum signal to the idle tube and the upper idle airbleed, by changing the size of the hole, and as well it provides a restriction to flow so that the lower idle airbleed can emulsify the mixture further.
Is my understanding of this sound? If it isn't, could you describe its function and what variables there are when you change the size of the hole.

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
Re: Down channel restriction
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 04:26:21 AM »
The function of the idle system is nothing more than a "team" of items working together to provide sufficient idle fuel to the engine at low rpms at the given vacuum being produced by the engine.

I covered the "basics" in the book, and how to modify the idle system to compensate for engine modifications.

The idle down-channel restrictions in particular, are located before the mixture screw holes/lower idle airbleeds, and after the idle tubes/upper idle airbleeds.  They do as mentioned, put a restriction in the system mid way between the idle tubes and mixture screws.  The size of the idle down channel restrictions varied considerably on factory carburetors, as did idle tube sizes.

In very early years, idle down channel restrictions were very small, as were idle tube sizes.  These carburetors also used very tiny upper idle airbleeds, yet still delivered plenty of idle fuel.   Common sense would tell us that the smaller airbleeds mixed less air with this fuel, and at the same time allowed engine vacuum to pull harder on it at the same time.  Since we saw larger idle airbleeds being used as emission regs continued to get tighter, this would indicated that more air available to the idle fuel as it made it's way to the mixture screws was effective at reducing emissions.

This fact also made later quadrajets difficult to use on engines with significant modifications, such as lareger than stock camshafts.  Since aftermarket carburetors were not targeted for emissions, they were sought out by enthusiasts to replace factory units. 

The good news here is, that we can go in and make changes to the q-jet to get the idle system up to par, and overall it will work as well as and more often better than any aftermarket carburetor, and save money as well....Cliff

Offline FORREST MILLER

• Garage guy
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 10:27:10 AM »
Thanks for the response Cliff.
I understand the "team" concept,  and  have gathered  alot of knowledge from reading "the book."
I even made a graph plotting idle tube size versus down channel restriction versus vacuum signal using the info you supplied in the book. This graph helps to understand the optimal sizing of both the idle tubes and the down channel restrictions for a given vacuum signal. This graph shows a very linear increase in size for a given vacuum signal.
So to help me understand, for a given vacuum signal of 12", and idle discharge port of .096", My graph shows a .037 idle and a .052 down channel.if I want to increase the flow of fuel to the idle discharge port, just increasing the size of the downchannel restriction is the wrong way to do it, I should also increase the size of the idle tube?  A second question I guess, is if you only want to make a small change (small enough that it dosn't require an idle tube size increase) can you stray from the graph and increase the size of the down channel to provide a slightly stronger vacuum pull?

Thanks very much,
Forrest Miller

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 07:03:39 AM »
Both the upper and lower idle airbleeds must be factored into any changes or modifications.

Also, the location of the upper idle airbleeds is important, as the airhorn located ones are "direct", and the main body bleeds are indirect.....Cliff