Author Topic: q-jet base plate interchangeability  (Read 6403 times)

Offline beertracker

• Carb lover
q-jet base plate interchangeability
« on: February 28, 2015, 07:01:09 PM »
This is about q-jet base plate interchangeability.   I have a q-jet main body 17057274 with base plate 60, V, N, P inside a circle, then RP.   My base plate is damaged and I need another one.   Are there other base plates I can use with my main body or do I have to find a base plate with the same numbers  as the original one?

Is there a cross reference table showing which base plates will work with main bodies?  bt

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
Re: q-jet base plate interchangeability
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 08:04:00 PM »
This is about q-jet base plate interchangeability.   I have a q-jet main body 17057274 with base plate 60, V, N, P inside a circle, then RP.   My base plate is damaged and I need another one.   Are there other base plates I can use with my main body or do I have to find a base plate with the same numbers  as the original one?

Is there a cross reference table showing which base plates will work with main bodies?  bt

I would find a core Qjet, with the correct base plate. Interchange is sometimes not good. The part number for you carb number is 17054435. Collector's Auto Supply lists the part number as available. So, I would try contacting them. Also, what exactly is wrong with your base plate?
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)

Offline beertracker

• Carb lover
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 11:33:03 AM »
I looked up this number 17054435 in cliff's book and it decoded as:

4= 1974
4= california
3= Cadillac

So the base plate for the above carb will work with my Pontiac q-jet main body 17057274?  I will follow up with Collector's Auto Supply. 

My old base plate has a rusted in,  broken idle mix screw that won't come out.  The base plate is not repairable.  It was like this when I acquired the carb.  So I need a replacement base plate.

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 04:09:08 PM »
I looked up this number 17054435 in cliff's book and it decoded as:

4= 1974
4= california
3= Cadillac

So the base plate for the above carb will work with my Pontiac q-jet main body 17057274?  I will follow up with Collector's Auto Supply. 

My old base plate has a rusted in,  broken idle mix screw that won't come out.  The base plate is not repairable.  It was like this when I acquired the carb.  So I need a replacement base plate.

Should have more clear. Part number 17054435 is the part number for the base plate. Not a carburetor ID number. Part number 17054435 is the correct base plate for your 17057274.

Though, you will probably pay A LOT more for a NOS base plate, instead of finding a correct core.
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)

Offline 429bbf

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 07:10:37 PM »
bt is it ruined or would it be good if i guy got the screw out. i would be willing to try take it out free of charge if you send it to me . fwiw

Offline 429bbf

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 07:22:33 PM »
ethan i see bts casting no. is 7043308 do you know if they used the same casting no. with different modification to fit different carbs ?i guess my question would be . if my 17041262 has the same casting no. would it work? thanks

Offline beertracker

• Carb lover
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 09:46:11 PM »
bt is it ruined or would it be good if i guy got the screw out. i would be willing to try take it out free of charge if you send it to me . fwiw

Hi 429bbf:

That's a great idea.  I will PM you a photo of the damaged section with a write up in a couple of days.   Then we can decide if it's fixable.  :)

One of the idle mix screws broke off even with the base plate.  It was rusted in bad.  I tried kroil penetrating oil and later a propane torch but no luck.  Next I tried drilling the mix screw out and even took a tiny dremel cutting bit to it.   I got some of the screw out but the threads are damaged; the drill slipped.   It will require back fill material (aluminum or JB marine epoxy?) and a re-tap of threads.   I don't know if aluminum can be welded?

thanks, bt

Offline beertracker

• Carb lover
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2015, 02:00:14 PM »
429bbf:

Thanks for the offer and here are the idle screw hole photos.   I don't think the photos turned out very good but I did my best.  Look them over and let me know what you think.   The pointed idle mix screw tip is protrucing into the barrel so my drill stopped just in time.

Offline 429bbf

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2015, 03:49:07 PM »
doesn't look like its going to do you any good the way it looks (sometimes you have to laugh ) send it to me and ill see what i can do . as long as your not in a big hurry. it may take me a week or two.

(

Offline beertracker

• Carb lover
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2015, 05:33:28 PM »
429bff:

Just got back from working on the base plate and now it is broken.   I should have left well enough alone. Another hard lesson learned about q-jets; keep them away from dremel cutters.  No way to fix it now.   Thanks any way.   I am going to have to get a replacement base plate.

bt :)

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2015, 10:44:27 AM »
ethan i see bts casting no. is 7043308 do you know if they used the same casting no. with different modification to fit different carbs ?i guess my question would be . if my 17041262 has the same casting no. would it work? thanks

My mistake. I was looking at the throttle body ASSEMBLY number. It could work. What is the stamped number on the side of the carb?
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2015, 10:47:49 AM »
429bff:

Just got back from working on the base plate and now it is broken.   I should have left well enough alone. Another hard lesson learned about q-jets; keep them away from dremel cutters.  No way to fix it now.   Thanks any way.   I am going to have to get a replacement base plate.

bt :)

That stinks. You could of lightly hammered an O/S torx bit into the bad screw and used a wrench to get it out. :(
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)