Author Topic: Carter built Q-jet numbers  (Read 2561 times)

Offline 70quad

• Garage guy
Carter built Q-jet numbers
« on: April 12, 2015, 04:36:43 PM »
I have a Carter Q-jet, with 4848S stamping, and L2 for a date. To the best of knowledge it's for a '68/'69 Chev, but the date stamp would indicate 1972. Service replacement? Also, what engine/vehicle does it apply to? Any help would be much appreciated. - Dale

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
Re: Carter built Q-jet numbers
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 10:11:04 AM »
I have a Carter Q-jet, with 4848S stamping, and L2 for a date. To the best of knowledge it's for a '68/'69 Chev, but the date stamp would indicate 1972. Service replacement? Also, what engine/vehicle does it apply to? Any help would be much appreciated. - Dale

Yes, that carb is a Service Replacement for '68-'72 Chevrolet Models 396cid/454cid. I believe most Carter built Qjets were replacements. Not 100% sure, but most I see are.
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)

Offline 70quad

• Garage guy
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 11:22:56 AM »
Yes, that carb is a Service Replacement for '68-'72 Chevrolet Models 396cid/454cid. I believe most Carter built Qjets were replacements. Not 100% sure, but most I see are.
It has an external idle vent, no provisions for plastic mixture limiter caps on the base plate, & a non '70s type choke pull-off. All of the carb components match, so by a process of elimination, it should be correct for a '68-'69, - correct? Would it be AT or MT, or both? The big block application makes it interesting to me. When I take it apart, I'll see what the jets, etc. are. Thanks for your help. - Dale

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 08:47:02 PM »
It has an external idle vent, no provisions for plastic mixture limiter caps on the base plate, & a non '70s type choke pull-off. All of the carb components match, so by a process of elimination, it should be correct for a '68-'69, - correct? Would it be AT or MT, or both? The big block application makes it interesting to me. When I take it apart, I'll see what the jets, etc. are. Thanks for your help. - Dale

Correct as in, it will work with your application? Yes, it should. A/T and M/T had different types of linkage on some, if not most Qjets. In any case, they will work.
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2015, 03:53:25 AM »
Carter made a LOT of q-jets under contract when Rochester couldn't keep up, so more will actually be OEM than Service Replacement.

They did make a good many SR carburetors, and not all of the numbers are listed in my references.

Good news is that we can still supply parts for them, just need to identify what they are.

SR carburetors were usually not specific to auto or stick shift, but they did make a few that were.  Rochester SR carburetors may sport the original number, but there will not be a Plant Code and the Julian date will be later than the model year.

Later Rochester SR carburetors will typically be numbered 1705XXXX or 1706XXXX, for example the SR carburetors for the Pontiac Super Duty 455's made in 1973-74 will be 17054910, 17054911, auto/manual trans respectively......Cliff