Author Topic: Q-jet code confusion  (Read 3352 times)

Offline Cal86cutty

Q-jet code confusion
« on: April 21, 2015, 02:20:05 PM »
Hi folks new here to the site -hope to gain valuable info on the Q-jet. I've been a G-body fan for a lot of years owning a number of Cutlass' and Monte's. Presently own an 86 Cutlass Supreme and an 87 Monte Carlo SS - so am familiar with the Rochester Quadrajet Carb.
   I've recently been having problems with the carb on the 86 Olds. My mechanic has checked it over and said it is shot - he checked on getting a re-build kit for it but said there wasn't one available ( or he isn't trying hard enough to find one! ) Anyway - I removed the carb and have been trying to find a replacement . The first one I tried was off an 88 full size chev ( I kind of knew this one wouldn't work with it having different ecm plug ins ) . The engine fired right up but was running really rough - knew it wasn't right.
   The second one is off an 86 GMC truck with a V6 ( code - 17085210 ) All connections the same except for the throttle linkage is different. The car fired right up at first and idled fine but was running really rich and was stumbling a bit - I could drive it around the block but felt it wasn't quite right. After a few days I couldn't even get it started- so still looking!
   Sorry about the long intro to the question at hand! Q-jet code confusion. The first carb, that is apparently shot, has a code of 17086590 - All translates fine except for the 7th digit '9'. I've seen a listing for the division up to the digit '8' but nothing for '9'.
This is a Canadian built Cutlass - would that have any bearing on the number.  Any help greatly appreciated.   thanks    Murray

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
Re: Q-jet code confusion
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 04:48:03 PM »
 Welcome to CHP!

I believe you may be correct, as I see, a few Canada Export Quadrajet's from time-to-time with an odd second to last digit. So, this may be a Canada or overseas deal here. That carb was for an '86 Buick, Olds, and Pontiac Models w/ 305cid, A/T car. Any photos of it?
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 04:52:52 PM »
 To add, it was also used on the '85-'87 Chevrolet/GMC Pickups as well. ;)
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)

Offline Cal86cutty

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 03:20:48 PM »
Thanks for replying Ethan - I've attached a couple of photos of the carb. The one I installed on the engine is the 86 qjet off the 86 Pick-up . The carb is a close match to the original carb except for a couple of differences - one being the throttle linkage and the other is how the primary vacuum hose from the pull off attaches to the body. A little different set up but don't know if that makes a difference.
   The electronics seem to be the same with the correct connector for the mixture control solenoid and no external 3 pin throttle position sensor. Is there any reason why this carb. shouldn't work?   thanks for the help.    Murray

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 08:41:50 PM »
Not sure why they wouldn't. Cliff would be best to answer. May try posting in the correct forum above. Might need some modifying to work properly.
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2015, 04:00:06 AM »
Use the original carburetor, call us for a kit, we stock them.

Putting anything else on there will not delivery the same results, the OEM carburetor was calibrated exactly for the application, nothing else will be close or work nearly as well no matter how much time you put into it.

Exports to Canada were not subject to the same emission standards after 1980, so automobile applications still got the non-CCC carburetors.

The one in the pictures has the accl pump solenoid, but is not a computer controlled unit.

In addition to a rebuild kit, I would replace the primary choke pull-off and E-choke, that covers everything required to get it up to par, and it will then delivery many years of good service.  Those units can also develop a leak at thevalve under solenoid for the accl pump reducing pump shot even further.  I would recommend to pressure test the solenoid valve while it's apart.  If it shows a leak, just melt some lead into the passage under the valve and seal off that passage, it is not needed for correct carb function.........Cliff