Author Topic: Quadrajet rear vent  (Read 2908 times)

Offline Spudboy

• Garage guy
Quadrajet rear vent
« on: December 19, 2009, 11:01:48 AM »
  I have a question on the Q-Jet rear vent. All of my Pontiac carbs from 68-71 have this in operation with the bi-metal strip and cover. I have a Buick 7041540 carb that I am switching to Pontiac use by swapping
the throttle shafts and choke setup. Since it will now be used on a Pontiac, would it be wise to open the
passages and run the Pontiac rear vent setup?

Offline Schurkey

• Carb lover
Re: Quadrajet rear vent
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 02:00:02 PM »
  I have a question on the Q-Jet rear vent. All of my Pontiac carbs from 68-71 have this in operation with the bi-metal strip and cover. I have a Buick 7041540 carb that I am switching to Pontiac use by swapping
the throttle shafts and choke setup. Since it will now be used on a Pontiac, would it be wise to open the
passages and run the Pontiac rear vent setup?
I'd wait and see if you had problems with hot idle.
Demand compensation from Communist China for the damage done by the Virus Originating in the Wuhan Lab, released (intentionally or negligently) into the world in 2019 (VOWL-19).  Trillions of dollars, plus direct compensation to individuals for medical bills, and "wrongful death" settlements.

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 04:26:47 AM »
The rear vent is actually the HIC, or Hot Idle Compensator.  It was used to provide a controlled vacuum leak when underhood temperatures reached a determined point, or high enough point to cause the bi-etallic spring to open the valve and add some addtional air at idle speed.

I don't usually leave this system in place for high performance carburetor builds, but will on stone stock set-ups if the parts are still in good shape......Cliff

Offline Spudboy

• Garage guy
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 09:42:59 AM »
Thanks for the info.