Author Topic: Installing bushings in the center "bridge."  (Read 1809 times)

Offline Spudboy

• Garage guy
Installing bushings in the center "bridge."
« on: December 21, 2015, 11:45:27 AM »
   I was at a car show a couple of years ago and admiring a brand new restoration of my buddies 1971 Trans Am (455 four speed). I also reviewed his restoration photo album. While looking at the carb photos I caught a glimpse of gold
(the carb was upside down) on the "bridge" between the primary throddle plates. I knew exactly what it was. He (or
his carb rebuilder) had not only installed replacement bushings on the outside of the throddle plates, the center support
was overbored and bushed as well. The 1971 455 HO four speed carb (single booster ring) has to be the most rare and valuable q-jet to aquire. And this was his cars original unit. I  would never have attempted this on that carb. You have to bore into and through the primary bores to get to the "bridge. And like Cliff says, this "repair" is unnecessary. I questioned him closely on the performance aspects of his engine and carb. He said it runs flawlessly. It starts right up, comes off choke smoothly after warmup and drives like a virtual brand new 1971 Trans Am. It seems to me that by making the throddle shaft hole bigger in the primary bores, this would lead to more air getting by the primary throddle plates and could very well alter the flow charistics. What does everyone think?

Offline qjetsrule

• Carb lover
Re: Installing bushings in the center "bridge."
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 12:19:27 AM »
most throttle bushing kits do not disturb the bridge shaft bore you are referring to, so it wouldn't effect airflow. I take Cliff's word about no bushing required. Some rebuilders use a long piloted drill to pick up the bridge portion of the base plate and bush it also. I believe most of the throttle shaft bore wear is on the drivers side where the return spring pressure and linkage movement are working the softer metal in the baseplate.

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2015, 03:48:36 AM »
For certain bushings in the center are not needed.  I also do NOT like boring all the way thru and prefer to only drill in 1/2" from each end to leave a shoulder to keep the bushings from ever being able to move inboard.

Our bushing install kits come with a lock-collar to drill to the correct depth....Cliff

Offline markedmondson

• Garage guy
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2015, 09:01:12 AM »
I would think the LH bushing is under the most strain, and therefore wears the most.  The RH bushing probably sees less load, while the center bushings nearly none.