Author Topic: Was The Lower Choke Pull-Off Linkage Omitted From Some Models?  (Read 2581 times)

Offline davis95

• Garage guy
I have 2 different carbs that only have a linkage rod going to the secondary air flap and none going to the lower hole in the choke linkage. I removed one of the carbs from my 84 Camaro and the carb was in service for many years with only the front secondary air flap pull-off. As far as I know it never had one. The other one is a 1980 model with a rear-mounted pull-off which also only has the one rod going to the secondary air flap. This pull-off has the inner slot for the linkage, but it appears that it never had one. Is this linkage necessary? I've run Q-jets both ways and can't tell if one way is better than the other.

Offline omaha

• Jet Head
Re: Was The Lower Choke Pull-Off Linkage Omitted From Some Models?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 12:37:31 AM »
I am not sure. Some of the front pulloffs dont have 2 rods, only 1 but, they do push on a lever which does the opening of the choke. On the rear mount pulloff, I think there should be 2 rods. I cant see how the choke would operate correctly without some opening. there are quite a few variations. you just nedd 1 setup that works right, so if it works........ 

Offline davis95

• Garage guy
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 06:53:29 PM »
I am not sure. Some of the front pulloffs dont have 2 rods, only 1 but, they do push on a lever which does the opening of the choke. On the rear mount pulloff, I think there should be 2 rods. I cant see how the choke would operate correctly without some opening. there are quite a few variations. you just nedd 1 setup that works right, so if it works........ 

The carb on my Chevelle has the exact same rear pull off setup, but this one does have the rod attached to
the inside arm of the pull off which goes to a hole on a lever under the choke. I still can't figure out what the rod does
because where rod attaches to the slot on the pull off it is basically centered in the slot and the movement of the pull off in or out
 has no affect on the rod moving anything whatsoever. Is this rod just some sort of counterweight for the choke?

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 05:06:48 AM »
All models used a pull-off to unload the choke.  Some used a secondary pull-off to help out if the first one failed. 

All models used a pull-off with a link attached to the secondary airflap shaft.  Many later models will only use one large pull-off in the rear with two links, one to the choke to unload it, and a shorter link to the airflaps.

Pretty common practice for well meaning folks to remove the link to the airflaps, so they can "feel" the secondaries come in.  That's why we stock new links, to put them back on and get the secondaries working correctly!.....Cliff