Author Topic: Stuck idle tube collar  (Read 3819 times)

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
Stuck idle tube collar
« on: February 21, 2017, 02:48:41 PM »
 I have tried everything from Cliffs book, to tips on here to get this idle tube out. Heat, grinding off the first few threads of screws, extra leverage, etc. nothing! Can I just drill it out?
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)

Offline 77cruiser

• Qjet Hero
Re: Stuck idle tube collar
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 06:09:11 PM »
Sure drill it out, maybe the bit will grab it & spin it out.
Jim

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 06:17:51 PM »
 Thanks, Jim! Will let you know how it goes. ;)
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)

Offline carmantx

• Carb lover
  • Quadrajet Power.com
    • Quadrajet Power
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 08:44:56 PM »
You can drill.  Bit needs to be smaller than the orifice though and be careful to go straight in. 
'72 Buicks for fun and drag racing
quadrajetpower on facebook

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 09:40:47 AM »
 Well, I got it out. Used a .063" drill bit, since it was oversized from punching it down into its bore. Spun right out like, Jim, said. 8)

Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 10:49:07 AM »
Good news Ethan.

I will say that a stuck collar is actually quite rare.  In all the years I've been doing this I can only remember having to drill a couple of them out. 

We do use heat on the casting these days before trying to remove any of them.  About 15-20 seconds with a propane torch against the casting from the inside of the fuel bowl and they just about fall out.

We do run into a fair amount where the tube and collar drive down together.  I'd say maybe one or two in 100 carburetors will have this issue.  I stop quickly when this happens and drill just the tube with a .093" drill bit, then pull the collar in the normal fashion.

The biggest problem one can run into in all of this is when the tube falls out of the collar and wedges inside the carburetor fuel passage.  Those can be stubborn, but I made a removal tool for them decades ago from a long drywall screw by leaving the sharp point on it, but grinding down the first 1/2" or so of the threads above the sharp point so it fits easily into the fuel passage to retrieve the tube. 

Hope this helps some........Cliff

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2017, 10:58:13 AM »
 Thanks, Cliff. Stubborn little sucker! ;D But, both the collar and idle tube are out now. Wish it was as easy as the other side was. Oh well....
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)

Offline jamesF

• Global Moderator
  • Carb lover
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2017, 06:52:53 AM »
I had started a new post but I'll add this question here..

Are the tubes only supposed to come out from the top using the screw method or is that method only for the collars?
In the book Cliff says that the tubes might drop or fall out after hitting them lightly with the appropriate sized punch and hammer. This car is pretty clean and nothing else has been stuck. I have started that process of pressing a tube out on my '75 Quadrajet and noticed that there are no holes open on the underside where the tubes can exit. The tube moved only slightly then stopped..The two holes that appear to be the bottom of the openings are filled. Should I melt, chip, drill that metal away or just try to pull the tubes out from the top.

Thanks guys.

Offline 77cruiser

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2017, 08:31:16 AM »
I like to use a 0-80 stainless screw threaded into the tube.
Jim

Offline jamesF

• Global Moderator
  • Carb lover
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2017, 09:45:07 AM »
After looking closer It looks like there is no exit on the bottom those . I will try pulling them out as noted. I think Cliff means "fall out" if you turn the carb body over.
These are not the bottom of those passages.

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2017, 10:24:00 AM »
 James,
 There is no way to get them out through the bottom. He meant they fall out through the top. Try a 1/16" drill bit and butane torch. Worked for me. :)
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)

Offline jamesF

• Global Moderator
  • Carb lover
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2017, 10:27:57 AM »
Thanks "E", that's what I figured. Now I know. Will do.

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2017, 10:47:45 AM »
 Yeah, you punch the idle tubes down an 1/8" or so, use your drywall screw, snug it up and use a butane torch. Heat it for about 20 seconds. Usually they just pop right out with ease. The one I had was a little more stubborn though.
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2017, 02:45:47 AM »
I've had a few folks push them down so far that we had to remove the front plugs to access them.  The channel leading up to the idle tubes is curved where it goes down to the front plugs, so they are very difficult to remove from underneath, but it is an option to get them out if you end up pushing them so far down that they "wedge" in the fuel passage.....Cliff

Offline Mr.Pontiac

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2017, 08:25:52 PM »
Ive pulled about 30 sets out, i first squirt em down with wd-30, Grind a very small flat on a dry wall screws and start it in tight. Heat it up for about 12 seconds by one thousand, next lay and piece of 1x1 key stock across top near screw, grab it with wire cutters or some guys call em dikes, and they come right out for me. usually on first pull.