Author Topic: regarding throttleshaft bushings...  (Read 2210 times)

Offline Marx3

• Jet Head
regarding throttleshaft bushings...
« on: April 28, 2010, 02:07:08 AM »
Is it normal that the shaft goes a little bit tight, upon installing new bushings? I guess it is nothing the throttle returnspring cant handle, but still...

I made sure i had good alignment when drilling, and the shaft slid into the bushings nicely. So I guess I could not have done it in other ways.

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
Re: regarding throttleshaft bushings...
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 04:08:20 AM »
We see this quite a bit.  Make sure to dress the leading edge of the shaft where the fast idle parts go on, as there is often a "lip" there that makes the shaft push hard thru the new bushings.

If the shaft turns hard in the bushings, it's tweaked slightly and not perfectly straight.  I often have to fiddle around with them a bit, like a Buick that I was working on yesterday.  The shaft just turned too hard in the bushings for my liking.  A long straight drill blank verified the bushings were fine and in good alignment.  I was able to get the shaft to turn freely after some minor bending in a couple of places.

Use extreme care when doing this, as the shafts are easily broken!....Cliff

Offline Marx3

• Jet Head
Re: regarding throttleshaft bushings...
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 02:52:21 AM »
Okay, thanks. I just did two baseplates, and one was a little bit tighter than the other, but I think I feel that the tightest one is not too tight. I will try working a little with it! Thanks!